WBU33001 Older Whirlpool dishwasher won't drain

aaddaammm

Premium Member
Model Number
WBU33001
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi there. I have an old Whirlpool dishwasher. They say it's from around the year 2000. Whirlpool doesn't keep the owner's manuals for old machines like that (so evil!), so I can't figure out how to access the filter. I can get a lot of the assembly in the middle off, but can't go all the way. All the visible screws are out, and when I pull where I think I'm supposed to pull, i actually broke off a little bit of plastic. Anyone have any advice or access to owner's manuals for these old machines?

It's called Quiet Wash System, Power Clean.

View attachment 43277
View attachment 43276

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The only filter is the one under the spray arm. The motor turns one direction for wash and the other direction for drain. Is the motor running during the drain cycle?

aaddaammm

Premium Member
That's a good question. I'm not sure if its draining at all. But the water only becomes a problem at the end of the cycle, that's when the dishwasher starts to fill and the water can't drain. Also, when I took off the spray arm I didn't really see a filter.

rickgburton

Staff member
So it sounds like it works through the cycle and doesn't pump out the last water fill at the end of the cycle. Start the machine on a normal wash cycle and turn off all the extras. The machine should start with a 1 minute drain cycle then go into a fill cycle and then a wash cycle. After the wash cycle is the second drain cycle. Does the water pump out during those two drain cycles?

aaddaammm

Premium Member
Hm. I tried this and it seems in fact that the dishwasher doesn't drain at all. I started it on the normal wash and it just kind of fills up and eventually starts leaking. There was so much debris in there before that I'm sure something is clogged, you know? Is there somewhere that I could clean out what might be clogging it? Now it is filled with water... (thanks so much for your help)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Can you please re-upload the 2 photos that were in your first post? They didn't come through.

To upload photos--->Just Click "Go Advanced" at the bottom right side of this Quick Reply editor that we type in, then you will see the MANAGE Attachments Button.

Jake

aaddaammm

Premium Member
Can you please re-upload the 2 photos that were in your first post? They didn't come through.

To upload photos--->Just Click "Go Advanced" at the bottom right side of this Quick Reply editor that we type in, then you will see the MANAGE Attachments Button.

Jake
Yes, here they are. When I took these, I had manually drained enough of the water (using a dish to scoop out the water) in order to take the screws out. I can take other pictures of anything. Did the attachment work?

IMG_1652.jpg IMG_1653.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
You're not following me. I understand it's not draining. Is it not draining because the motor is not running during the drain cycle or is the motor running but it's not draining. Unscrew the check valve on the motor and see if water comes out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the photos came through, thanks.

Yes, Rick is correct, check your check valve first for a clog.

Its easy to get to, just remove your lower access panel below your door, than unclamp your drain hose off from it, then get some pliers and unscrew it from the pump/motor assembly.

There should be just a black rubber flapper inside that check valve, push something through it, like a pen, it should go through. Also flush it with water from your sink.

Here's the check valve for your model:
Check Valve 675238

Here's the video that shows you how to remove and replace it: Dishwasher Check Valve Video

Jake