• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WBVH6240FWW GE Front loader stops, light blinks, comes unlocked

jenniferg

Premium Member
Model Number
WBVH6240FWW
Brand
GE
Our GE front loader began stpping during the cycle, and the door would become unlocked, it was taking hours to do a load. We did a little research on the web and spoke with our local appliance parts place and everyone felt it was the control board, we bought it, installed it, programmed it - Same thing, no change. I see another thread on this board mentioning a hole in a hose, I'll have my husband look for that later today, but as many times as we looked under it, we've never seen any water, at least none we've noticed.

I tracked the cycle the other day - "colors/normal setting", starts at 58 minutes, stops at 22 minutes in rinse, then again at 11, and then stops at 1.

"Dlicate Setting" stops at 19, then 9, and then at 1.

When this happens we put it into "drain & spin", this seems to finish the cycle.

Everything seemed to point to the control board, it does control the cycles, locking and unlocking? We'll look for the hose today, but if that seems good, what next?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jenniferg

Premium Member
Where can I find the information on the code testing, I looked in the manual and didn't see anything, did I miss it? Is there a chart somewhere with the codes?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its on Page 51 in the repair manual link I posted above.

Jake

jenniferg

Premium Member
Hi thanks, I thought we had the manual, but my husband must have downloaded something different, I downloaded from your link and it's a totally different manual. I printed out the codes, and from what I read on another thread, it said once it goes into test mode, you use the start/pause button to go through the different test modes. When we hit the the start/Pause once it shows a 3, no T3 or TO3, just 3, and pressing the button again does nothing. What are we doing wrong?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

shawn111

Appliance Tech
If you successfully put the washer in the test mode you it will display t01. When you rotate the control knob change to t02-t03-t04 and so on to t14.

The reason you get 3 is because you have hit start to enter the model id test mode. When you press power it should go back to t01.

Rotate the knob until t02 is displayed then press start to view the error codes.

Let us know what errors you are getting.

Also note that you MUST exit the service mode the same way as you entered it as described in the manual. Do not disconnect the power to the washer while it is in service mode because it can damage the control.

Clothes Washer Repair Guide

shawn111

Appliance Tech
If you still can’t get the error codes to come up. I will go ahead and tell you that the water valve is more than likely the cause of this problem. If the cold-water side of the water valve doesn’t work or it is running slowly the washer will pause and the lights will flash. What happens is when the washer goes into fill cycle for the rinse cycle water doesn’t run or it runs slowly. If the washer has been trying to fill for 8 minutes unsuccessfully the washer will pause and the lights will flash. This will continue until you come and reset it.

Put the washer on the Cold Tap setting, start a cycle and see how well the cold water is coming in and if it is slow you either have a bad valve or a clogged strainer in the hose.

jenniferg

Premium Member
Thanks Shawn, I'll try running through the test mode tomorrow using this method.

We checked the strainer and it was clear, not sure on the flow rate, but I hook up a hose to the cold water every couple of months during the winter when I fill our hot tub, and I can't remember there being any difference from using the regular spiket, but I'll check the fill rate. Since you bring this up, is there something north of the valve in the machine that could obstruct it or cause the water to run slow?

I'll post again tomorrow after the test

shawn111

Appliance Tech
Yes, it can be something clogged between the valve and the water inlet but it is not as common. If it is not the water flow problem you will need to see the error codes to diagnose this.

The washer will also pause like this if the load is way off balance. But after the water valve test we will only be guessing until you read the error codes. Well technically the water flow is a guess to, but I have seen this happen quite a few times.

jenniferg

Premium Member
OK, we got into the test mode and got the 22 error, slow fill, from there we went to the 8 or 9 test? I'm not sitting with the paper in front of me, but we went to the two test modes it told us to go to, both turned up no error code? We've already checked the screens, and we fill our hot tub off the cold water side every couple of months, no problem.

Tomorrow my husband is going to take the hoses off the back of the machine and bring a 5 gallon bucket up and try running the water into the bucket and see if he notices any difference between the flow of the hot to the cold. I'll post again tomorrow after.

Thanks again

shawn111

Appliance Tech
Since you got the E22 error code then I would say your water valve on the washer is bad assuming the screens in hoses are not clogged. If water runs good with the hoses off then I say you have a bad water valve. You can confirm by putting the washer into the t08 test mode. In this test mode the hot water valve should energize and run hot water. Wait a bit to see if water enters the tub and if it is coming in good move on to the t09 test (press power to exit the t08 test). In this test mode the cold-water valve should energize and run cold water. If the water comes in slowly on one of these test replace the water valve (again assuming nothing is clogged).

It is important for you to clear the error codes because if you ever have any other problems with the machine and you want to view the error codes you will still see the code from this incident. This may confuse you (or whoever may be doing repairs) into thinking you have this error when really it was from another issue. Clear the code after the repair is done and the washer is back working. Go back into the t02 test mode and hold start until E00 is displayed.

jenniferg

Premium Member
OK, we went into the test mode and went to t08, according to the directions hit the start pause button to initiate the test, it beeped twice, but nothing happened. We timed it and waited 2 minutes, nothing happened, no water ran. We pressed the power button to exit and went to t09 and did the same thing, hit the start button, waited 2 minutes, nothing. What are we doing wrong?

shawn111

Appliance Tech
It is odd that both the cold and the hot are not working. This may seem like a dumb question but are you sure the water is turned on?

Since both do not work you will need to do two things. One starts a cycle (not in the service mode) and see if water runs then. If not put it back into the service mode and run the t08 and t09 test. While you are running the test you will have to test for voltage at the water valve. If you are getting voltage but no water is running then the valve is bad assuming there isn’t a clogged between the valve and the water inlet (which you need to check).

If you don’t get voltage you will need to check for a loose connection. Normally I would say the main board were bad if you don’t get voltage when running the test but I understand you already replaced it so check for a loose plug or maybe a broken wire.

jenniferg

Premium Member
The water is working, we're washing clothes, just keeps stopping along the way. The question is when I put it in test mode, 8 and 9 for the hot and cold water tests, I turn to the mode, 8 for instance, then I hit the button (what ever button the manual tells us to hit), nothing happens, on either hot or cold, no water runs in.

Can someone give me a rundown to see if I'm doing it right? After going into test mode, then turning the dial into the two (8 - 9) test modes, how do I start the test from there, by hitting what button, and how long should it take before the water starts to come in??

Thanks

shawn111

Appliance Tech
When you get it to the t08 or t09 test press start/pause. Water will not start for about 30 seconds or so because the dispenser motor turns to the correct position before the water starts.

When I first said water valve I was just guessing however afterward you said you get the E22 error code, which is why I keep saying water valve. The washer will pause because at anytime during the cycle the water fails to fill the tub within 8 minutes it stops and the lights flash. Does it run water on tap/cold cycle and hot cycle during a normal wash cycle?

One more thing you should try (only if you determine the valve is working cold and hot). Run the t06 test mode. Press start to enter the mode and the display should say E for Empty (no water should be in the tub). The press starts again and water should start to fill, at some point F should be displayed in the display, then nl then oF, then it will pump out. Once the water is pumped out the display will go back to E If this is not what happens then you may have something going on with water level control. I see on another thread that you have checked the tube that goes to the water level control so I assume that the tube is ok.

upalms

Premium Member
OK, I think we found something

We tried both t08 and t09, no water came in on either tests.

When we tried the t06 test, we tried it with both valves open, i.e. hot and cold running in the machine, then we tried the test with the cold valve shut, just hot running in, and then with the hot valve shut, jst cold running in. There seemed to be a lot of hot water coming in when the cold valve was shut, but when we shut the hot valve and tried it with just the cold water, the water coming in was about 20% of the hot, or less. So the hot water came in quickly, the cold trickled in.

Now what?

And BTW, thanks again to everyone for the help

shawn111

Appliance Tech
As for the fact that no water enters the washer on the t09 and t08 test I have found out that some of these washer don’t have these two test modes when you try to enter the test mode on a model without the test mode it just beeps twice and doesn't enter the test mode. I just can’t pinpoint which models do have the test and which don’t. Looking at all the service manuals I have on these I still can’t figure out which ones do and which ones don’t. I think, although I am not sure that the ones with a B for the second letter like a WBVH6240 wouldn't have it but a WCVH6260 would have both test modes. Again I am not sure becuase this is not clear cut in the manuals. If anyone knows please let us know.

As for your problem since the cold water just trickles in replace the water valve assuming there is nothing clogged.