• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDF510PAYSA check valve blockage

Skooba

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF510PAYSA
Brand
Whirlpool
I’m trying to troubleshoot my dishwasher not draining after a cycle. I don’t see any clogs on either end of the drain line. However, my model, whirlpool WDF510PAYSA doesn’t have a check valve down on the inside of the dishwasher near the filter like a lot of other models do. It is in the 90° drain hose. https://i.imgur.com/yZhKIVW.jpg
If I push my finger through the bend of the hose I can feel where it is closed off. Should I be able to freely push through that flap or is it something that remains closed until the drain cycle is activated on the dishwasher?

Any ideas or suggestions on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You should be able to push through it, and blow through it, so it sounds like its clogged.

Remove it and see if you can clear it/flush it out, if not, then you will need a new one.

Here's that drain hose with the elbow in it that contains the backflow check valve:
WPW10545278 Drain Hose

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Skooba

Premium Member
Do you know what the inside of the check valve is supposed to look like?

Since I figured it was already broken I took a wrench and managed to pry out the hard plastic piece that wouldn’t budge. It looks like this https://i.imgur.com/3a61Pfz.jpg
After putting it back together it is now draining. What I don’t know at this point is if I’ve completely destroyed the check valve or if I actually dislodged something that shouldn’t have been there. I’m going to run a cycle today and see if any water remains.

If I did break the check valve, what are the implications of that? Is it just a risk of backflow or old water? The drain hose has a high loop so hopefully that would prevent anything terrible from making its way back into the dishwasher.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have never seen the inside of where the check valve is at in that elbow, so I don't know if you broke it or not.

If its draining fine now, then keep using it that way, if you do see backflow dirty water coming back into the dishwasher you will need to order the new drain hose that has that check valve built into it.:)

Jake