• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDF510PAYW8 Whirlpool DW wont start

Ultimate2

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF510PAYW8
Brand
Whirlpool
HI,
Whirlpool five year old DW just wouldn't work when attempting to start the nightly cycle.

I checked and there seems to be no thermal fuse according to Whirlpool.

I unplugged the DW, waited five minutes and plugged back into the wall after checking wall outlet for 110 AC current. Immediately upon plug-in, the panel lights lit and then went out. Still no signs of life when pushing buttons.

I attempted to invoke the diagnostic cycle by pressing any three keys in sequence- 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3 with no more then one second between presses, still nothing.

I removed the front panel, removed and tested the door latch and it passed for continuity when engaged.

A voltage detector showed that there is current coming up into the control unit, in fact, it seems there is voltage on every cable coming to and from the CU - from the bottom of the DW, the door switch and the rinse door switch. Is this normal?

I just ordered a new control unit and will see if this fixes the problem, I'm just concerned that I might fry the new CU, if there is something else going on that I have failed to diagnose.

Any ideas what else I should investigate before installing the new CU when it arrives next week?
Glad to supply more information if I'm able.

Thank you for your help and your assistance in the past. This group has helped me repair our washer and dryer multiple times.

Ultimate2

Ultimate2

Premium Member
Rick,
Thank you for your assessment and quick reply !

Is there anything I should do before or after installation to assure the Control Board functions properly ?

I'll report back next week with my results.

Ultimate2

Ultimate2

Premium Member
Well the Control Board came in and I just installed it.

There is still no sign of function, no response from the DW panel lights with button pushes and DW won't begin any cycle. I attempted to run the service diagnostic cycle but the DW did not respond. I re-checked the main power connection behind the kick plate and the Black to Black, White to White and Green to Ground are all solidly connected. There still seems to be power on every cable entering and leaving the Control Board, Rinse Module and Latch Module and running up the cable loom from the lower kick plate area.

The only sign of life is if I plug the DW into the AC outlet, with the door latched, I see the Normal and Heat Dry lights momentarily (1/2 sec).

Attachments

Ultimate2

Premium Member
Rick,
Even though I believe that the door switch tested good on my Multimeter, should I bypass the door switch as a test?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You can if you want but if it tested good with your meter it should be good. You can check for 14V output to the console. If you purchased the board through the link I gave you, you can return it for a refund less shipping. For some models the tech sheet shows the keypad matrix. Your model tech sheet just says for an unresponsive keypad, "replace the control board and if that doesn't fix the problem replace the console/keypad".