WDF520PADB5 Whirlpool Dishwasher cycle issues

witsend

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF520PADB5
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi y'all. This three-year-old dishwasher has been nothing but a headache since I first moved into the house - first a finicky power cord, and now wild inconsistencies in its washing cycle.

Symptoms include:
  • Powder in the dispenser not fully dissolving/frequent clumping (even when using pods)
  • Powder thrown directly into the water tray (sometimes) not fully dissolving
  • The dishwasher will fill but will then sit quiet for a long time, longer than it should tbh. Sometimes hitting Start/Resume makes a difference and sometimes it does nothing at all
  • Usually the top rack will at least wash, but often neither rack gets washed. Very rarely do both racks wash properly
  • What seems like extra moisture present in the dishwasher, even if the dishes were dried
  • (Also I don't think my rinse aid is being dispensed but that's neither here nor there)
The self-diagnostic error code is consistently 7-1. I have replaced both the water pump and the heating element. I have gotten one good wash out of it, so I'm confident I reconnected the wash arm pipe correctly (I removed it when dealing with the pump/element).

I'm at my wits end as far as DIY goes. I'd rather not have to call in a technician because
a) the last two who worked on my machine couldn't even solve its first issue (the power cord - my dad and I eventually figured it out)​
b) I'm a teacher and that pretty much limits my service visits to the weekends (which I'm sure are always full up)​
Any assistance y'all can give will be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We've been seeing lots of problems with these wash motors lately, I had two do this in Sept. of 2018 in my local area, and I replaced the wash motors in both and it fixed them both.

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use a multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing.

Here is the wash motor assembly for your model:
W10846093 Motor-Pump

If you are getting 120 volts to it, and its not running, order the wash motor.

Jake

witsend

Premium Member
The new pump is less than a month old - could there be another reason the same problem's occurring? Or was I just unlucky enough to order a bad pump to start with?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, no other reason.

Where did you buy it at? The two wash motors that I replaced in Sept. of 2018 in Parker, Arizona and still going strong.

I order all my appliance parts from AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic, you have 365 days to return the part/parts for a full refund, less shipping, for any reason, even if you install the part/parts and it doesn't fix the problem. That also includes a 365 day warranty if it fails.

That's the reason we refer folks to our two parts suppliers.:)

Jake

witsend

Premium Member
It wasn't available on the Whirlpool website, so I went to Amazon instead (which has had a good track record for other appliance parts in the past). This might be the first dud I've gotten from them.

Ah, well. C'est la vie.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yuppers, when it comes to appliance parts its best to get them from appliance parts sites only.

I buy a lot of items on Amazon myself with good success, but not appliance parts.:)

Order it from our link to it and you will be good for many years to come.:)

Jake