FIXED WDF530PAYM5 Dishes not cleaning and long wash time

benny12

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF530PAYM5
Brand
Whirlpool
I've had ongoing issues with my dishwasher, looking for some advice on what to do next. We started getting white film on the dishes and it looked like it wasn't draining after a cycle. I checked the check valve and replaced the drain pump. I should have tested it before because the problem persisted. I replaced the soil sensor too, no change.

We switched from Seventh Generation gel to Cascade packs, filled it with rinse aid and replaced the top and middle spray arms as they were gummed up. Also have run vinegar and cleaning packs (separately) through it a few times. The problem got better for a little while, now its a problem again whether it is with Cascade or 7th Gen or Sani Rinse (higher heat) cycle or normal cycle.

The water temp is higher with the sani rinse cycle or HD cycle compared to the normal cycle. The film is worse with the 7th Gen detergent, but it was not a problem a year or 6 months ago and I'd like to use the detergent again because we just bought a bunch in bulk...

Lately I have noticed a cycle runs 3-4 hours vs the normal 1-2 depending on the cycle selected. And we have a lot of suds on the bottom of the DW after the wash has completed and it is currently drying. Is a diagnostic check the next thing to run? I'm at a loss of what to do next, any help is appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It sounds like your wash motor may not be working properly.

After it fills do you hear the wash motor running and splashing water inside? If so, how long does it run?

And we have a lot of suds on the bottom of the DW after the wash has completed
Cut down on the amount of detergent your using. Switch to Cascade Powder detergent and only fill the detergent cup half way.

Jake

benny12

Premium Member
The wash appears to be doing what it is supposed to, if I open the door everything is wet and the arms were spinning.

I realized I said not clean in the title and referenced a film in the body. The film that is left over is the biggest issue. for the most part everything gets clean, a film just gets left on some dishes. Primarily it is rubberish spatulas and plastic Tupperware and the Tupperware lids. And there is a strong smell of detergent.

I'll switch to the smaller amount of powder and see what happens. Its just weird that everything was fine and then all of a sudden it wasn't and we didn't have any other changes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Also run a load WITHOUT dishes or silverware in it, so it can flush all that remaining detergent out.:)

Jake

benny12

Premium Member
Ran some clean cycles and put Cascade powder in it, I think it was pretty good on the first wash after that but this is what I got on the second or third. Still have a really strong odor of detergent that I am pretty sure wasn't present when we were not having this problem. Any other ideas?

2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Looks like its not drying properly, do you have it on heat dry? If you have it on heat dry and its coming out wet, then your heating maybe bad, thus it won't heat the water during wash either to dissolve the detergent properly.:)

Also, Anytime you replace a part on these dishwashers you always have to run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

■ Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that now, and report back.:)

Jake

benny12

Premium Member
Ran the diagnostic, the DW started running, cycled a few times and after about 15 minutes I went from no noise and “1-hour wash”, “hi-temp wash” and “start” lit up to just the 3 lights, then they turned off and nothing has happened for the last 5 minutes.

But I’m enjoying my beer staring at a dishwasher sitting on the floor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, it just ran the diagnostics, that's normal for it to do all those things.

Now start a regular load and see if its back to normal.

In the drying cycle open the door and drip some water on the heating element to see if it sizzles, if your heating element is not heating then that could be the issue.

Jake

benny12

Premium Member
I assume this is not supposed to be an option when the DW is in its drying cycle.

I also ran a high temp wash after the pics were taken, my water temp inside never got over my tap hot water temp of 106ish and I could still grab ahold of the element the 3 times I checked the temp. I swear I had higher temp readings on a hi temp wash than that after having the problem, but before I started this thread.

2 questions:
Should there be that much suds? The drying cycle had been on for 5/10 minutes by the time I took this picture.
Is it a bad heating element or a bad controller not telling it to heat?

IMG-8313.jpgIMG-8312.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Should there be that much suds?
No, that's why too much suds. Just put a very small amount of detergent in the detergent dispenser.

Yes, it looks like your heating element is bad, but I always ohm test the heating element first to confirm that, make sure your breaker is OFF to your dishwasher when ohm testing.

Here's the heating element for your model you can order if yours is bad(Video Included):
Heating Element W10518394

Watch this video to ohm test the heating element:

[video=youtube_share;lZCP55aScvI]https://youtu.be/lZCP55aScvI[/video]

Watch this video to replace the heating element or to access the element terminals which are all the way in the back.

[video=youtube;xX5-ruvqZaI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5-ruvqZaI[/video]

Let us know what you find.

Jake

benny12

Premium Member
Thanks a ton Jake, super helpful in getting this fixed.

I'm out of town next week, if the element doesn't fix it I'll chime back in after that. Although, since I have all Whirlpool appliances I'm sure I'll be back to the site soon enough.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help benny12, yes keep us posted.

But I'd ohm test the element first before buying a new one, do you have a multimeter?

If you don't own one, it might be best to purchase your own Digital Multimeter. They are not that expensive and come in handy for a lot more than just appliance repair.

This is the one I own, and will also measure oven and refrigerator/freezer temperatures:
Digital Multimeter DM10T

Jake

benny12

Premium Member
I actually have a multimeter already, but I do recommend them, very helpful once you learn how to use them.

When I removed the old heating element, it broke apart right in a burned out area. I thought that was plastic buildup, should have known better...

I replaced the element, everything seems to be working perfectly. The water was definitely not getting hot enough to dissolve/activate the soap and drying agent. Thanks for the helpful resource you provide.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When I removed the old heating element, it broke apart right in a burned out area.
Yup Benny, I've seen that happen a few times myself in the last 30 years when I worked at Wards and Sears.

I replaced the element, everything seems to be working perfectly.
Excellent Benny, glad to hear the heating element fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake