• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDF540PADW1 Whirlpool Dishwasher stopping after rinse cycle

Rfoster143

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF540PADW1
Brand
Whirlpool
I need help with a Whirlpool dishwasher model WDF540PADW1. I’ve had it about 5 or 6 years. It stops during use at the same point. When I hit start I can hear it filling and then running (pre-rinsing?). Not sure what that first cycle is called. At some point after the first cycle it will halt. The door for the detergent will open but the pod is either intact still in place, half melted and hanging out of the door or dropped down into the utensil holder below intact, partially melted, or just a little of it left behind.

This would indicate to me it’s stopping either at the very beginning or very early in the cleaning cycle. All the lights indicate it’s still functioning but it will sit like that for hours. Sometimes I could hit the start button and it would complete the cleaning cycle. I’ve also tired opening the door and shutting it again firmly with sporadic results. Lately nothing will get it to continue. I can hit cancel and it will empty the washer.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It sounds like your wash motor is starting to fail, I had two bad wash motors on this model back in September 2018 and the new wash motor fixed them both. Others here have had the same problem.

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 is made by Whirlpool.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use a multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here's the wash motor assembly for your model:
W11133712 Motor-Pump

This video gives you the general idea of how to replace it:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake