• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDF560AFM Whirlpool Starts and Stops Excessively

Jenn123

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF560AFM
Brand
Whirlpool
My dishwasher starts, fills for a bit, then spins once, stops, spins once, stops over and over for at least a half hour. I feel like it keeps trying to start spinning each time but some kind of sensor immediately shuts it down. Eventually about 35-40 minutes later it finally starts spinning normally. At some point during the wash it starts the spin/stop thing again and until finally finishing the wash about 3.5 hours later.

Whirlpool is telling me it is normal for a dishwasher to start and stop, and pause for long periods of time. I feel like something is wrong. Any input would be appreciated.

This dishwasher is a real lemon, did not work right out of the box and have had technician in for several issues. :mad:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

After the dishwasher fills the wash motor will run a few seconds then stop, this will happen 4 or 5 times, then it will run non-stop till the end of the wash cycle, then drain, then rinse.

It should not take a half-hour for the wash motor to run then stop during the first 4 or 5 times, it should take like maybe 5 minutes or less.

Are your dishes and glasses coming out clean?

Do you run the hot water at the sink first before you start the dishwasher?

What parts has the tech already replaced?

Jake

Jenn123

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply :) The control panel was replaced, then the bottom spinner with motor (i believe), then the heating element. Those things were dead right out of the box. When I complained about the start/stop, they came back and replaced the wiring harness. Now it is still doing the same thing and Whirlpool is trying to convince me it is normal I thought it can't be normal, so I came here. The dishes come out pretty clean but not 100% and I have to keep on the heavy duty option. I thankfully purchased an extended warranty.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, did any of the techs reset your machine back to default after they replaced those parts?

Anytime you replace a part on these newer dishwashers you always have to run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

■ Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that now, and report back.:)

Jake