• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDF560SAFM black flakes on filter and screen and on all dishes

cptkirkh

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF560SAFM
Brand
Whirlpool
So, I got a new but used Whirlpool dishwasher from a guy that was still in the box. It was a model that was about 4 years old but had just sat in the box. Tried to start it up and it wouldn't work. Turns out it was the circulation pump motor. I found a neighbor that had a 4-year-old Kitchenaid that he was getting rid of and it turned out it uses the same circulation pump motor.

I took it out and put it on the new one and it worked great or so we thought. Now it seems that little black flakes keep showing up on the filter and screen that the filter sits in. I tried using the vinegar and then the baking soda cleaning but it just keeps coming back.

I know can see black stuff on the upper spray arms near where the water comes out. I cleaned them up real good ran another reload and it has come back. Any tips on where to start? Should I just pull it out and check all of the lines for some type of debris? Could the fact that the circulation pump motor was used have caused this? Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, remove the sump and wash motor and take it out to your yard and hose it out real good.

Could the fact that the circulation pump motor was used have caused this?
Not likely, but anything is possibly.

Jake

cptkirkh

Premium Member
SO I pulled the circulation pump hosed it out and didn't see any black material. I then ran a cycle with vinegar and then a cycle of baking soda. After a few weeks it started up again. It seems to be some type greasy stuff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, Its possibly coming from the sump assembly seal, that's all black. The sump assembly seal only comes with a new sump assembly.

Here's the sump assembly for your model:
WPW10455268 Sump

Jake