• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDF750SAYM0 Dishwasher won't heat water or dry dishes.

Paul Schulwitz

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF750SAYM0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello. New to the forum here. I'm hoping to use it infrequently, but stuff seems to break down on me quite a bit lately so I fear I might become a regular customer.
My 3 year old Whirlpool WDF750SAYM0 currently is not heating water or drying dishes and the dishwasher runs for an extended time. I assume because it never actually reaches operating temperature. I have tested the heating element and the thermostat for continuity and both seem fine. I'm not sure where to go from here.

I should probably mention that this issue started immediately after I "fixed" another problem. The tub was not filling with water. The first thing that I did was to check out the water inlet and water line. I noticed that there was some kind of black almost waxy substance that had gummed up the inlet screen. I'm not sure if that was some degraded bushing or grommet or what it was. The line is connected to the hot water side so I figured the hot intake water may have broken down some rubber or plastic part. Anyway, after cleaning the gunk off, I simply reconnected the line. No leaks were noticed and the tub seemed to fill up fine, but this is the point where the heating/drying issue started. I had the washer laying on it's side when working on it. I did try to make sure that I didn't jar an electrical fitting loose anywhere, but who knows? Any and all info is appreciated. Thank you!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi Paul, If the machine doesn't heat the water or dry the dishes, the problem is going to be the electronic control. You can check the voltage at the control between P4-3 and P4-4 or between the BLU/RED wire on the high limit thermostat and the BLU/WHT wire on the element during a heat or dry cycle.
W10479764 Electronic Control Board

Paul Schulwitz

Premium Member
Thank for responding Rick!
After re-installing the heating element and thermostat I pulled the front panel and cover from the control board.
I figured out how to run the dishwasher in diagnostic mode and identified the P4-3 and P4-4 connections. During the cycles voltage was going on and off. I figured this means the control board was probably good so I ran the dishwasher in 1-hour wash mode empty. The water seemed to heat up and the washer did not keep running and running. I think it's fixed!
There must have been a loose connection somewhere and I probably fixed it when re-installing the components.
Thanks for your help though. I'm sure I'll be back!
-Paul

Servtech

Premium Member
I have a whirlpool model WDF310PAAW1. It doesn't stop running(except to drain) for hours on end. The water inside is not warm. I have read a few other posts about this problem, but am still at a loss of where to begin. Please advise

Paul Schulwitz

Premium Member
Sounds like it's not heating for some reason. Search YouTube for "dishwasher not heating water" or "dishwasher won't dry". There are several videos that will show how to test for continuity in your heating coil and also check the thermostat. I think those are the two main issues that most have. If they test fine come back and get the opinion of a real pro lol.

Servtech

Premium Member
So I changed the heating element and the dishwasher now cycles normally, but does not heat the water very hot and does not dry the dishes at all.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check the rinse agent. It may be empty. Dishes won't dry without a rinse agent. Invoke the Diagnostics Cycle, perform the following while in standby: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between keys. The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

NOTE: While in the Diagnostic Cycle, the Start/Resume feature is turned off (for example, Auto Resume after door interrupts) and the Start/Resume key becomes an individual advance key.

■ Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last ran information from memory and restores defaults.

■ Drain and wash motors will pulsate on and off.

■ Last ran cycles and options returned to default.

■ Last ran delay returns to the lowest delay increment.

■ Operating state returns to Standby upon completing or terminating the Service Diagnostics Cycle.