• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDF750SAYM2 Whirlpool Gold Series Leaking from the side

MikeW1980

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF750SAYM2
Brand
Whirlpool
While walking into my kitchen yesterday I notice the MDF laminated board of the cabinet next to the dishwasher was cracked and had water damage. I pulled the dishwasher out of its spot in the cabinet and found the insulation on the one side was completely soaked around the drain loop area. luckily not enough water had come out to pool on the floor but the one cabinet panel is wrecked. This morning I ran a cycle through it to see if I can spot the problem and it didn't even leak a drop. The plastic hoses don't appear to have any defects. I found the grey plastic water inlet nut was a bit loose but not enough to leak I would think. This dishwasher has had an easy life and still looks new. Has anyone ever seen or had this happen? I will try attaching a couple of pics.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2026.jpg
    IMG_2026.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2028.jpg
    IMG_2028.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2029.jpg
    IMG_2029.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 36

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mike,

If you found no water spraying out from the side when the dishwasher is running, then I really don't know why that happened, unless its intermittent.

Jake

MikeW1980

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake

So I went to the appliance store where I purchased the machine and they are currently open by appointment only, that wasn't any help...

I then went to a local cabinet shop to try and get a replacement laminated board and a strange thing happen. The guy was telling me he has seen heat and water damage like this before with dishwashers that have a vent on the side and it actually does kind of make sense. Before the Rona, I was eating out a bit more and running the machine once or twice a week. Since the stay at home situation, I have been cooking way more and running the dishwasher up to four or five times a week. The increased usage with a ridiculously tight installation and cheap mdf cabinets probably set up the fail. The insulation was commutatively getting saturated from moisture venting and didn't have time to dry out, eventually soaking the board to the point of cracking. That's probably why the staining appears to go up and not down. It's almost like the install should have had a vapor barrier. I don't know, maybe I should chop out some of the insulation to help with the air space and prevent wet materials from pressing up against the mdf board.... The cabinet guys figures this will likely happen again, at least the mdf is cheap to replace.

Attachments

• IMG_2035.jpg
    IMG_2035.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 43

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It's almost like the install should have had a vapor barrier. I don't know, maybe I should chop out some of the insulation to help with the air space and prevent wet materials from pressing up against the mdf board.... The cabinet guys figures this will likely happen again, at least the mdf is cheap to replace.
That seems logical to me as well.

Look what I just found in your installation manual on Page 4: --->A side panel kit is available from your dealer for installing your dishwasher at the end of your cabinetry.:)

Here's your installation manual:

Jake

bwooden

Premium Member
i just posted in the maytag forum with this exact issue, except my damage is worse. I've only been using our dishwasher for 2 months and my cabinet is wrecked. I pulled ours out watched it run a cycle. no leaks, but steam comes out of those holes on top of that grey part - the water inlet. It seems like a bad design to have that next to a cabinet and no where for that moisture to go. Even if it you had a moisture barrier wouldnt the moisture eventually make its way to the floor? i'm beyond frustrated with mine at this point.