• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDF750SAYM3 doesn't start wash cycle (fills water and drains well)

akashv

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF750SAYM3
Brand
Whirlpool
Model: WDF750SAYM3
Bought/Installed: 2014

Problem started a few months back when water will fill and drain, but no wash cycle. First I thought it might be a board problem as I switched from Normal to Sensor mode and DW started working. After a couple of months same problem with Sensor mode, so I switched to 1-hr cycle and it started working. After a few works that stopped too.

Ran diagnostic tests 8-1, 6-4, 7-1 before diagnostic cycle followed by 6-4 and 10-1 after cycle.
My dishes haven't been drying properly and that explains 7-1.
I checked the float switch and it seems the problem is with the valve. The valve doesn't lift with the water that gets filled during any cycle. Probably requires cleaning. The switch seems to work fine tested with a multi-testes 0 ohm/infinite ohm test. It could still be a problem, but I believe it shouldn't affect the wash cycle (let me know if that is not the case); ruling out 6-4
10-1 - I noticed the detergent dispenser opens up and that shouldn't the issue with wash cycle.
Also not sure about 8-1, slow drain as water drains well and gets cleared on each cycle. I also checked the drain pipe and it is clear.

Any suggestions on what could be the issue why wash cycle never starts. Even in the entire diagnostic cycle wash cycle never started. There were multiple click sounds, pauses, water got filled, detergent dispenser opened, and in the end water drained out. But no wash.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, It's not suppose to fill up and lift the float, its on a timed fill. The float is only if the water inlet valve goes bad and the does not stop water from coming into the dishwasher, then the float lifts and cuts power to the water inlet valve.

I'd first--->Run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

--->Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that and see if that resolves the problem.

If that doesn't resolve it, then usually it's the wash(circulation) motor that goes bad when this happens. I've replaced 2 myself in Parker, Arizona a couple years ago, and it fixed them both.

To verify that you can check for 120 volts at the electrical connector at the wash motor when it should be washing.
(click to enlarge)
dishwash120volts.jpg

The complete wash motor pump assembly is in-stock and its about $40 less than the wash motor alone.

Here's the complete wash motor/pump assembly for your model you can order below, it also comes with a new diverter motor too:
PUMP&MOTOR WPW10605057

You can replace the complete assembly WITHOUT removing the dishwasher from the cabinet, watch this video:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

akashv

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Thanks for the float valve info, that's useful. Yes, I'll test the motor today to see if it receives the voltage to isolate the problem and can then order the part once confirmed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.