• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WDF760SADM2 Dishwasher leaking under the door on the left side, Help please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

T34

Premium Member
Model Number
WDF760SADM2
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,

My 4 year old Whirlpool dishwasher started leaking from under the door on the left side. i attached the pictures showing the front part of the under pan. Should the water get that high in this area??? the leak started after i replaced the sump as the grommet there was leaking. I have no idea if its related or not. I already invested 100$ into sump. If i need another part i cant afford to make a mistake. Please help! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 151

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It looks like your are missing your door seal.

This part:

Here's the parts diagram that shows it:
(click to enlarge)
Doorseal.jpg
Its #2 in that parts diagram, held into place by that screw #4.

All you do is remove all the outer door panel screws, then that outer door panel will pull up and off, then you can access it.

Jake

T34

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply. The seal is in place. I actually took it out, cleaned and put it back. Not sure why they call it a seal though. Looks like by design it allows water/air in.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
the leak started after i replaced the sump as the grommet there was leaking. I have no idea if its related or not.
Then you will need to remove the sump and re-install it, if it wasn't leaking before you replace the sump assembly, then it has to be something you did when installing the new sump assembly.

Here's the sump assembly for your model:
WPW10455268 Sump

When you click the link to the sump part, you will see a video on how to remove it and replace it.

Jake

Sthompso1999

Premium Member
Hello,

My 4 year old Whirlpool dishwasher started leaking from under the door on the left side. i attached the pictures showing the front part of the under pan. Should the water get that high in this area??? the leak started after i replaced the sump as the grommet there was leaking. I have no idea if its related or not. I already invested 100$ into sump. If i need another part i cant afford to make a mistake. Please help! Thanks
Was this issue resolved? I have the identical situation but I have done nothing with the sump. I have a lower door seal on order but am skeptical that will resolve the issue since I see nothing wrong with the existing seal.

Lee Petkovsek

Premium Member
Was this issue resolved? I have the identical situation but I have done nothing with the sump. I have a lower door seal on order but am skeptical that will resolve the issue since I see nothing wrong with the existing seal.

I don't know if my problem was the same as yours... but because of this forum and Jake, it was fixed! Here's the link to the thread. SO HAPPY it was resolved with a new vent!!!! Listen to Jake!!!

Here is my review of what happened!
I first called a 20 yr veteran appliance guy to fix it. He couldn't see anything wrong except for minor suds build up which I flushed out in a couple cycles.. but it still had small leak at base of door.

I began researching internet, came across Applianceblog web site for free advice (that was what hooked me!). First was to replace the door seal around the inside of the dishwasher. My app guy did that but it made no difference. Jake suggested trying the other door seal at the bottom inside of door and vent. My app guy took out the vent, looked it over with me and it appeared fine- but it really wasn't! (the seals around it eventually become dried out, have deposits, etc. even though the plastic part of it looked brand new).

I took Jake's advice after he sent me several other customer's posts who had the exact same problem and they fixed it with the vent. So, I ordered it here. I didn't feel qualified to do the repair myself and since I already had my app guy involved, I called him back. He thought I was nuts because he didn't believe the vent was bad, but he installed it and voila! NO MORE LEAK! (but it dripped just a tad on the first run). I think he just used screwdrivers and it appeared to be an easy fix (I didn't want to chance getting shocked!). My app guy didn't charge me for the few trips he made out here and only did so after fixing the problem- love honest people! I will spread the word about this great web site! They even provide a YouTube on how to actually do the repair! Any women out there attempting going down this rabbit hole... it can be done because I am a female! Don't run to buy another appliance right away! Thank you Jake- YOU ARE THE BEST!!!! Woohoo!!!"

Sthompso1999

Premium Member
Thanks for the feedback, but I think my problem is different than yours. I don't even have the part you are referring to and my situation is exactly what is shown in the pictures above. A large amount of water in the pan at the bottom front of the door. I am replacing the lower door seal tonight, but am skeptical that will resolve the issue. I'll keep troubleshooting.

(As a side note, I echo the prior poster's note. Calling this a lower door "seal" doesn't seem accurate. The piece appears designed to let water/ air in/out.)

Thanks for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Lee for the nice compliments on your dishwasher I helped you with.:)

@Sthompso1999 Do you have the exact same model number as the OP?---->WDF760SADM2? The model number tag is located inside the door on the tub frame.

Jake

Sthompso1999

Premium Member
No, my model is slightly different but appears to be same/ similar parts. I have WDT750SAHZ0.

I haven’t replaced the lower door seal yet but I don’t really see any problems with the existing one.

Here’s a link to a video of the problem

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Its not leaking, and that is normal. Does it ever leak?

If so, Remove your lower spray arm and see if its cracked or broken.

Here's the lower spray arm for your model:
W10837249 Arm-Spray

Also remove the lower wash arm support and see if its cracked or broken, or if the rubber gasket on it is cracked or broken.

W10500299 Lower Wash Arm Support

Watch this video it shows you how to remove and replace both:

Jake

Sthompso1999

Premium Member
Thanks. Although not shown in that video, it is leaking - substantially at times. The water gets deeper in that area and splashes over the edge.

Here's a rundown:

- I replaced the lower door seal, but that had not impact - still leaking.
- I replaced the door gasket around the perimeter of the door - still leaking.
- I have inspected all the wash arms. No apparent damage.
- I have inspected the float shutoff valve. No apparent damage and the shutoff switch works when I manually trip it with my finger.

I removed the lower wash arm and ran the cycle without the wash arm. No leaking. As I said, I see no damage to the wash arm but I suppose it's possible something is damaged inside? I am going to put the lower wash arm back on and remove the middle wash arm and run a cycle and see what happens.

As a side note, is this a typical design? The pan with water in it (even when it's performing properly) is only enclosed by the door panel and insulation. If/when water splashes out it soaks the insulation. Doesn't seem like a great approach for a $700 dishwasher.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the wash arm is not cracked or broken, then that should be the cause of the leak.

Did you check the wash arm support?

As a side note, is this a typical design? The pan with water in it (even when it's performing properly) is only enclosed by the door panel and insulation. If/when water splashes out it soaks the insulation. Doesn't seem like a great approach for a $700 dishwasher.
Yes, you will see water there, but it should not leak out.

Jake

Sthompso1999

Premium Member
Yes, I’ve checked the wash arm support and it is fine. No issues. I’ve run it multiple cycles with different variations of the wash arms removed (top, middle, bottom). The only time it doesn’t leak is with the bottom wash arm removed but I’m very skeptical that there is anything wrong with that arm. I’ve examined it closely and also run sink water through it and only see water coming out where it should. Could a bad motherboard be causing this? I’m about to give up on this machine. Only about 4 years old. Horrible.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, a bad motherboard can't cause that problem.

I'm very puzzled to what's making it leak, I really don't know. Hopefully another tech. or member that knows can shed some light on this issue.

Jake

Wx4usa

Premium Member
Is the dishwasher level or leaning back slightly? If leaning forward they are prone to leak out the bottom of the door?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good Point Wx!

Jake

Sthompso1999

Premium Member
Yes, I've double checked the level both front to back and level to right. Triple checked the wash arm support and no issues. Today it was leaking from the lower right of the door whereas the past several times it was lower left. Perhaps it is some piece that is moving like the lower wash arm? I've looked at the wash arm numerous times and see no issues, but I think I'm going to go ahead and get a new one before completely giving up on this thing. There's only so much time I can spend lying on the kitchen floor! Thanks all.

Sthompso1999

Premium Member
Issue appears to be resolved! I replaced the lower wash arm with a new one and have now run the washer four times without any leaks. When I received the new wash arm, I compared it to the old one and saw no difference in appearance. There appeared to be no damage to the old wash arm. I also took the old wash arm apart to see if there was any interior damage. I could see no interior damage and was able to rotate the gears with my finger and it appeared that things worked properly. For anyone who is interested, I have attached a picture of the opened wash arm.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Hopefully this result gets indexed high in the Google search results for anyone else who runs into this issue!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 94

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, the mystery is SOLVED!!!

Glad the new lower spray arm fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.