WDSR2120J8WW GE Washer agitates, but will not spin. Im at a loss here.

Dude_wtf?

Premium Member
Model Number
WDSR2120J8WW
Brand
GE
Hello All,
I have a GE washer, model# WDSR2120J8WW, that agitates and pumps but will not spin. I took the front of the washer off, and ran a cycle. I saw no movement near the motor what so ever. The motor does not seem to spin, the belt does not spin, nothing spins. I am frustrated and this is my cry for help. Any ideas or tips as to what the problem could be? Should I just say screw it and get a new model? We just had a baby and are low on cash so I was hoping I could fix this.

Thank you for any and all help guys.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Does the motor even come on and make a hum sound when its in the spin cycle?

Take the belt off the transmission pulley and motor pulley. Then turn both pulleys to see if they turn freely both ways.

The transmission pulley will turn one way to make it agitate and turn the other way to make the inner tub spin.

If the transmission pulley won't turn the direction for spin, then your transmission is the culprit OR you possibly have an item of clothing stuck in between the inner and outer tubs.

You can pull the inner tub and and check to see, the hub nut is reverse thread. You can also use a pipe wrench.

Here's the spanner tool:
Tub Nut Wrench WX5X1325

Jake

edjDIY

Premium Member
I had same same symptoms with GE washer. After you try Jakes direction also consider it Could be that tub is rusted stuck to tub. I used a putty knife between tub and spindle to get it loose. Also did a CLR tub treatment for a cycle to help clear remaining rust and corrosion followed by vinegar baking soda wash cycle to clean out.

Dude_wtf?

Premium Member
Thank you for the quick reply gentlemen. I will be finishing up Jakes suggestions tomorrow night, as soon as the spanner wrench comes in. My pipe wrench could not do the job. Hopefully by tomorrow night I will have some answers. The laundry is starting to pile up.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

Dude_wtf?

Premium Member
***Update***
Transmission pulley wasn't turning well for draining so ive attempted to get the nut off to reach the tub.

Having a real hard time getting the nut off. It's rusted on tight. Decided to do a wash cycle with some clr when i noticed it wouldn't fill. I can't get it to fill now. The motor isn't making any noise (no hum) but I've got a strange off ticking sound coming from the start/ stop knob.

None of this sounds good at all. At this point, unless anyone's got any miracle suggestions im thinking it's toast.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Do it make any sound at all when it's in the drain/spin cycle?

If so, then it sounds like your timer may have gone bad too.

So with this many problems its best to go washer shopping, the Columbus Day sales start tomorrow.

Jake

Dude_wtf?

Premium Member
No sound at all during the spin cycle. Just the ticking from the timer area.

I appreciate the help guys but it looks like she's DOA. Thank you all for attempting to lend a hand. I really appreciate it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome, glad to help.:)

Jake