• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WDT710PAYM4 Erratic behavior, first not drying, now not starting

jmdiazfranco

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT710PAYM4
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello!

Whirlpool DW working erratically:

3 weeks ago we started to notice that the dishes were all wet after the cycle, something that never happened in the past, no changes in detergent, rinse-aid liquid level Ok, nothing seemed to be wrong. Before starting any more complicated diagnostics, I unplugged it from the wall for a minute (I believe I ran the 123123123 sequence, but not sure...) and plug it back. The problem disappear, shining, clean, dry plates again!

1 week ago we noticed the dishes dirty in the morning, and the soap pill in the bottom of the DW just partially dissolved. Yesterday after starting the cycle, I noticed the sound of water entering and filling the bottom of the DW, but after that just silence. I waited for a while with no any more activity (noises) coming from the unit, I opened the door and noticed unexpected amounts of steam in the unit, apparently it was trying to dry before cleaning? I cancelled the cycle, I heard the water being flushed away, and I tried the same trick as before: I unplugged it for a minute, plugged back and run the 123123123 sequence, after a while (~15 min or so) it made a sound, but when I opened to the door, I couldn't see any lights on. I started it anyway, and this time it ran fine and clean dishes in the morning.

Today, same thing, the only way to make it work was to unplugged it, but this time I had to do it 2 or 3 times before it started to run continuously.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

On the other hand, can somebody explain me (or point me to where to find), how to read the faulty errors? I understand that I need to run the sequence 123123123, but then, what should I do? Close the door? Wait until the beep, open the door and register the status of the lights? How can I translate those to error codes?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jose Diaz

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jose,

Ok, sounds like a faulty wash(circulation) motor. I had two bad wash motors this week here in my local area as well, its a common problem on the Whirlpool and KitchenAid models as of late.

Look here: FIXED: WDF510PAYSA Whirlpool dishwasher spray arms not spinning

That guy in that thread had the same problem, and his uses this same circulation motor as your model does. So I'd remove it and ohm test it like he did, if you get no continuity then its bad.

Here's the circulation motor for your model you can order:
Circulation Motor WPW10510666

You can also remove the electrical connector that connects to the wash motor, then put your meter leads in each one and then start a new cycle and after it fills watch your meter and it should say 120 volts. If it does then your wash motor is the culprit.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

jmdiazfranco

Premium Member
Hello Jake,

I just removed the circulation motor, I ohm tested and it failed (there is no current circulation through the terminals), also I removed the pump housing and noticed that the pump is very hard to rotate, when apply some torque to it (to make it rotate) it becomes harder and harder, and if you release it, the impeller bounces back like if it had a spring. Not sure if that's its expected behavior, but I think the lack of conductivity is enough to declare the part dead.

I am ordering it now, hopefully it will not take too long to arrive!

Thanks for your support. I will get back when done!

Jose

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your drain pump is fine, that's the way its suppose to be.:)

Yes Jose, Your circulation(wash) motor is the problem.

Let us know how it goes.:)

I replaced this same motor yesterday on one of my customers dishwashers that was doing the same thing as yours, and the new circulation(wash) motor fixed it.:) The customer was happy to have their dishwasher back in operation.:)

Jake

jmdiazfranco

Premium Member
Jake,

Pump installed, works ok! You can hear the noise of the water running in the unit, dishes clean but....

... dishes totally wet at the end of the cycle, the unit is not heating, or the steam is not evacuating!

What are the possible culprits / testing procedures for this particular unit?

Should I start a new thread? Or can continue this one?

Warmest regards, looking forward for your comments!

Jose

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jose,

Glad to hear the new wash motor fixed it.

Anytime you replace a part on these new dishwashers you always have to run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

■ Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that now, and report back.:)

Jake

jmdiazfranco

Premium Member
Jake!

Running the service diagnostic cycle did the trick!

The dishwasher was running without problems for the last week or so!

Thanks for the advice, you got a loyal customer here!

Jose

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Jose, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake