Not open for further replies.

lee1199

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT710PAYM5
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello -

My old heating element died and I installed a new one. I tested it it prior to make sure the unit was good. I still can not get the dishwasher to heat the water or heat dry to the dishes. I also tried a new thermostat, no luck. Is there something else that I can do to get it going ? Is there a way to reset the control panel ? I tried unplugging the unit, still no luck.

I am 100% sure the element is installed correctly and the element is in proper working order.
I am 100% sure the thermostat is installed correctly and the thermostat is in proper working order.

Thank you in advance !

Lee

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check for 120 VAC during any of the heating/drying cycles between P4-3 and P4-4 on the electronic control board. Measure the resistance of the OWI thermistor between P12-1 and P12-3 on the control board. Your meter should indicate 42K to 56K Ohms at room temperature.
Whirlpool W10597041 Electronic Control Board
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-w10597041-ap5688872_01_m.jpg

jeff1

Staff member
Oops, sorry Rick.

jeff.

lee1199

Premium Member
Check for 120 VAC during any of the heating/drying cycles between P4-3 and P4-4 on the electronic control board. Measure the resistance of the OWI thermistor between P12-1 and P12-3 on the control board. Your meter should indicate 42K to 56K Ohms at room temperature.
Whirlpool W10597041 Electronic Control Board
View attachment 26424
Thanks for the reply, If I get a poor reading, does that mean the board is bad ? If I get a good reading what is that telling me ?

jeff1

Staff member
I assumed the control board has power. If the control had no power, the unit wouldnt work ?
No power from the control?
Check for 120 VAC during any of the heating/drying cycles
The control may not be sending out any power to the heating element.

jeff.

lee1199

Premium Member
Thank you for the help.

If its not sending out power to heat the Element, I assume I would need to replace the board, is that correct or can I try and reset the board ?

I am not spending $200 for a new board for a $400 dishwasher. Id rather replace the unit with a new one.

jeff1

Staff member
If its not sending out power to heat the Element, I assume I would need to replace the board
Correct.

I am not spending $200 for a new board for a $400 dishwasher. Id rather replace the unit with a new one.
We usually recommend that once the repair gets to 50% or over of the cost of a new one, replacing the unit is usually the best idea.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
There is no "reset"...just unplugging and removing power for a while can allow a confused or stuck board to start working again....we do this often after an electrical storm or such.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Your welcome :)

jeff.

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I have read this about some of these newer whirlpool dishwasher. When any part of the heating cycle gets interrupted...bad element, thermal overload or even if unit is not circulating water because of bad pump or no water....whatever the reason...if the control senses no temperature rise for a certain amount of time it will trigger a heating error... Once that error is logged then it will continue to run cycles but will not heat...even if you replace the bad component. The only way to get it to start heating again is to clear the error code. This is easy but can be a bit tricky...Tech. Sheet error code 7-1 What do you guys think?

Attachments

jeff1

Staff member
A copy:

Heater Circuit problem:
■ Open in heater.
■ Open connection or component in
Heater Circuit.
1. Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
2. Measure resistance of heater and all components and
connections in Water Heating Circuit/Heat Dry Circuit. Fix/
replace open connection/part.

Faulty Heater Drive Circuit on the control.
Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power and replace control.

*If* all checks ok, we are back to a bad control as the prime suspect.

Thankx for the tech sheet bigbuck.

jeff.

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Hi jeff, Just above that it states this on the wiring diagram.Control is programmed to disable heater, but continue running cycles if it detects a water heating problem.Running diagnostics clears the control, allows the heater to turn on again. Water heating problem must be corrected, or the control will disable the heater again. See heater circuit problem below.Yeah it says replace control,but also states what i just posted for his model.Don't you think if the Tech.Sheet says this it's worth a try?

Attachments

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
From the OP...

I am 100% sure the element is installed correctly and the element is in proper working order.
I am 100% sure the thermostat is installed correctly and the thermostat is in proper working order.
If the heater comes on after running a diagnostic....if the above are still true....still leaves the control as the suspect.
Guess running the diagnostic is a double check?!

jeff.

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I would think if you cleared the error and it started heat again he fix the problem.Because the board has to be reset.Its doing what it is design to do on this model ,but there is the chance to board could be bad.I will give you that.Have a good day sir.

jeff1

Staff member
Control is programmed to disable heater, but continue running cycles if it detects a water heating problem.Running diagnostics clears the control, allows the heater to turn on again. Water heating problem must be corrected, or the control will disable the heater again.
I just want 1 baseball bat and 5 minutes with the yahoos that design some of these things today!! ;)

jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.