WDT720PADM1 Black residue on utensils

davimi

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT720PADM1
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a whirlpool gold series dishwasher. It is 3 years old. A few months ago the utensils started to get a black filmy residue on them. The dishes are clean. The dishwasher gets hot. I use rinse aid and had not changed the detergent. I clean the filter. I used affresh to clean the dishwasher. I am at my wits end here.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We need the model number of your dishwasher first, its located inside the door on the tub frame.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

davimi

Premium Member
I am not able to send a picture to forum for some reason. Is there an email I can send it to?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
To upload photos--->Just Click "Go Advanced" at the bottom right side of this Quick Reply editor that we type in, then you will see the MANAGE Attachments Button.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see them now. Yes I thought it was going thick black, but its a thin black film.

I'd first try using the Citric Acid and Dishwasher Magic and see if that gets rid of it.

If those don't resolve it, then its possible its your black rubber seal causing it, that's the only black part in your dishwasher.

Here's the sump assembly which comes with that black rubber seal:
WPW10455268 Sump

Video included in part link.

Jake

davimi

Premium Member
Hi. I used citric acid and the problem is still there. I wiped the rubber seal on pump on the bottom of dishwasher and it did not leave a black mark on the towel. When I wiped the rubber seal around the dishwasher where the door meets, there was a black mark on towel. Could the problem be from this seal? If so how do I replace it? Thank you,
-jen

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jen,

When I wiped the rubber seal around the dishwasher where the door meets, there was a black mark on towel. Could the problem be from this seal?
Yes, that's possible that's where it's coming from.

Here's the door gasket for your model you can order:
Door Gasket WPW10524469

There is HOW TO replace it video in the part link.

Interesting, I just noticed the new door gasket is no longer black.:) So it looks like Whirlpool had multiple complaints about the black film and removed the black door gasket from their inventory.

Jake

davimi

Premium Member
Update. I replaced the gasket around door. New gasket is still black. Unfortunately, I am still getting the black residue in dishwasher. I have t replaced the rubber seal on pump on bottom of dishwasher. It seems intact. No residue wipes off of it. I’m at a loss.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is odd, it doesn't look black in the photo, did you order it from my link to it?

Here it is:
Door Gasket WPW10524469

Jake

davimi

Premium Member
Yes. I ordered it from the link. I would imagine the problem isn’t from that because it started a few months ago and the dishwasher is 3 years old. So I would think a new gasket should be fine even if it is black. There isn’t anything black that rubs off of it. I have no idea what is causing this problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its a very odd problem I don't remember running into before myself, I will ask Rick what he thinks it could be.

You can return the door gasket for a full refund, less shipping.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Start the machine on a normal wash cycle, tub empty and no soap. Turn off any extras like sani-rinse and heated dry. After the fill cycle let the machine wash for about 90 seconds then open the door. If there's any soap suds on the water cut back the soap amount by about half for a while. Use a clear glass and scoop out some water then close the door and let the machine continue into the drain and rinse cycle. Check the water in the glass by a bright light and see if there's anything in the water. Do the same in the rinse cycle. Try removing and cleaning the drain hose out.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, let's take a look at this logically. There are no parts in the machine that will leave a black residue on just the silverware and not the dishes or glasses. There's nothing in the water. That leads me to believe the black residue on just the silverware is a chemical reaction between the dish soap and whatever material the silverware is made of. To test this theory, load the machine with clean silverware and run two wash cycles, one without soap and one with soap and see if it makes a difference.

davimi

Premium Member
I thought about that but why all of a sudden? The residue attaches to silverware, plastic, and the sides of dishwasher and the rails of dishwasher. Would hard water do this?

rickgburton

Staff member
Not that I'm aware of. Hard water deposits can build up over time and start leaving a white film on the dishes but I don't see that in 3 year old machines and never black. Do you have well water or city water?