• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WDT720PADM1 Whirlpool Dishwasher starts but just humms, water inlet clog?

Jokerstone

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT720PADM1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi all

Hope all is well. I was wondering how I can fix this thing again.
Last time it was a drain clog, this time it appears to be a water inlet problem. So here’s the situation, I turn on the dishwasher and I hear the water coming in and after about 5-10 seconds it seems to stop or starts to slow down and then the dishwasher just humms. I open and drain it and there’s water in the bottom that drains no problem.

Any suggestions?

Thank you al!

Attachments

• IMG_7454.MOV
    38 MB

Jokerstone

Premium Member
It almost sounds like the water is filling at trickle speed and takes very long to fill water in

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, we are doing good, thanks, hope you are too!

So little to no water is going into the tub when you start a new cycle?

If you put your hand on the water inlet valve do you feel it vibrating? I just want to make sure that vibrating sound is the water inlet valve, and not the wash motor vibrating and not running when it should be spraying water in the tub after it fills.

Turn the water supply off to the dishwasher underneath your sink, then take off the water line that connects to your water inlet valve and see if your screen is clogged up, thus not letting enough water come in the dishwasher.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
Water Inlet Valve W11175771

There is a video in that part link that shows you how to access the water inlet valve, see the water inlet valve screen in the photo above?

Jake

Jokerstone

Premium Member
Ok followed your advice, took the inlet hose off blew through it etc and it seemed clear. It seems like the vibrating is not the water inlet but this piece here I’ve attached.I think this is the wash motor right. So I stopped the cycle after about 5 mins and it drained fine, which I’m assuming is irrelevant as it has nothing to do with the wash motor ( the grey and white piece there)

Attachments

• 3050EC23-7718-45DA-A189-455D32C3F95B.jpeg
    3050EC23-7718-45DA-A189-455D32C3F95B.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Jokerstone

Premium Member
What’s strange is it looks like my drain hose has water in it during the full cycle, is this supposed to happen?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok followed your advice, took the inlet hose off blew through it etc and it seemed clear. It seems like the vibrating is not the water inlet but this piece here I’ve attached.I think this is the wash motor right. So I stopped the cycle after about 5 mins and it drained fine, which I’m assuming is irrelevant as it has nothing to do with the wash motor ( the grey and white piece there)
Correct, your wash motor is the problem then.

Its best to order the complete wash motor, diverter motor assembly with the sump assembly all in one unit, and its less expensive that the wash motor alone:
Pump and Motor Assembly WPW10671941

RepairClinic ships to Canada: Pump and Motor Assembly WPW10671941

What’s strange is it looks like my drain hose has water in it during the full cycle, is this supposed to happen?
Yes, that's normal.

Jake

Jokerstone

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Could a clog be the reason for this? Or it’s one of those after 7 years type thing lol

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the water inlet valve is not clogged, then it should be filling the tub up with plenty of water, didn't you say every time you opened the door water was still in the bottom of the tub?

But you never heard the wash motor come on and start spraying the dishes? You never heard water splashing in the tub?

Jake

Jokerstone

Premium Member
Correct. I don’t see a lot of water but I do see some water in the bottom when I open the door. Nope I did not hear any splashing, the water inlet valve elbow gets warm so it’s getting water to there and that’s it it seems

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Remove the electrical connector to that circulation wash motor and put your meter probes in it and see if you get 120 volts after it fills, when it should be running. If so and the wash motor is not running, then that's the problem.
(click to enlarge)
dishwash120volts.jpg

Jake

Jokerstone

Premium Member
Getting 0 when I do as you stated above. Wash motor it is. Thanks again Jake for your help. Much appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the new wash motor should fix it.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.