WDT720PADM2 Whirlpool Dishwasher - Black/pinkish film on dishes

walshy12

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT720PADM2
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool Gold Series dishwasher that has recently been leaving a film on some of the dishes. Specifically the silverware, but also on other dishes but not as visible. It’s coated the inside of the dishwasher.

I’ve disassembled most of the interior party’s and cleaned out the holes to ensure water flow. I’ve ran vinegar, baking soda, as well as Bleach. No change. It seems like the area where the filter lives and I’m assuming the water drains is slightly clogged. However, I can’t figure out how to clean out the hole leading to the drain tube.

Some info on the dishwasher, as well as photos.

6ACCFB1D-F095-46FA-BD52-92C4C86B9950.jpeg

19446DF7-D4D6-48A2-9915-14404DC7824A.jpeg
CBB8DFAE-213A-42EC-9738-E20FC121D01E.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

What type of detergent are you using? We recommend Cascade.

How hot is the water coming into your dishwasher? It's always best to run the hot water at the sink before you start your dishwasher.

Do you leave your door slightly ajar when its not in use? The more air flow coming in the better it drys out inside. Here in Arizona I have never seen this problem because its so dry out here. Where you live is very wet and humid especially in the summer months.

Get a bottle of Dishwasher Magic and run it through your dishwasher with no dishes in it and no detergent added.

Dishwasher Magic:

Jake

walshy12

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the response.

I use cascade.
I don’t typically leave the door ajar.
I typically run the water before turning on.
I’ll try dishwasher magic. I’ve tried other stuff too.

I have a feeling it has something to do with a drain blockage and old moldy food, but I can’t find it. I may need someone to help remove the dishwasher and check the lines.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, There is a backflow check valve in the elbow of the drain hose, if that is partially clogged it maybe causing this problem too.

Here's our main thread on it:
That thread shows the black elbow which has the backflow check valve in it. Check it for clogs.

Kathryn and Tom found it clogged up, post #26 and post #27 and post #29.

Here's that drain hose with the elbow in it that contains the backflow check valve:
WPW10545278 Drain Hose

Let us know what you find.

Jake