• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WDT720PADM2 Whirlpool Dishwasher Leak from Door

jakejen2

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT720PADM2
Brand
Whirlpool
M# WDT720PADM2

Only leaks when it’s spraying the utensils. It does this at the beginning of a cycle. I found where it leaks, see video. Not sure on the fix. I don’t think it’s over filling because it’s at the very beginning of the wash.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We can't see the video, convert it to .MP4 then upload it.

Jake

Dzejms

Premium Member
Wow I have the same exact problem, maybe worse? I'm so glad I found someone else with this problem. It's gotten worse over the past 6 months and is killing my laminate floor now. I've got two videos and I'll re-upload OP's as MP4 so we can have 3 to use for diagnosis.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good videos!

Do you have the exact same model number WDT720PADM2?

Please make sure, the model number tag is located inside the door on the tub frame.

Jake

Dzejms

Premium Member
thanks for the quick response Jake. Here is the sticker from inside

Attachments

• 10E3DB37-BA42-49DE-8B85-5DE73EE44C8E.jpeg
    10E3DB37-BA42-49DE-8B85-5DE73EE44C8E.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 525

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok good!

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#7 is the vent deflector, its on the inside of the door, see if that's all clogged up first.

If that's not clogged, then usually its the lower spray arm that cracks, then starts leaking water out the door. Have you checked your lower spray arm for cracks in it?

Here's the lower spray arm for your model:
WPW10491331 Arm-Spray

Jake

Dzejms

Premium Member
@Jake Thanks for the detailed suggestion! I actually had an appliance repair company replace the vent deflector without any luck. They never got to the bottom of things and charged me nicely for it so I've been going solo. I replaced the sump assembly because that was going to be their next step. That didn't stop the leaking.

I came to the same conclusion as @jakejen2 that it was during the silverware cycle where the water goes nuts. I sat there and watched the normal 3 hour cycle and when the lower arm and upper arm were spinning, there was no leak. I could tell by listening to the repetitive sound of the water hitting different objects when the arm cycles were on. The silverware cycle was just a constant gushing of water and was distinct. I can also tell that when the diverter goes from the upper arm to the lower, some water goes through this since they're connected to the same source, and a very small amount would leak. It seems to me like this silverware blaster has gone bad. I took the top rack out and put some water down it, and it does seem to come out unevenly and weighted to the side where I'm seeing all the water come from the door.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then I don't why its leaking like this out of the blue. Never run into that before on this model.

You'll need to have Whirlpool come out at 1-866-698-2538 to see what's going on.

Jake

Dzejms

Premium Member
Experimenting, I ran the 1 hour cycle to see if it would skip the silverware phase and it did! No leaking and clean dishes! So now I have a feasible work-around while I dig into the issue. Going to see if the silverware sprayer can be replaced.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's what I was wondering too!

@Dzejms can you please update us?

Jake

Dzejms

Premium Member
@Jake @Djewett

I have the part but can't get the old one off. It looks like I need to pop the tabs (circled in blue) but the top part and where it connects to the hose (circled in red) are making that tough. Any pointers?

Attachments

• silverware_spray_arm.jpg
    silverware_spray_arm.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 485

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I will ask our tech bigbuck if he has the service manual, that should tell you how.

Jake

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Only one that comes is this.

Attachments

• Job Aid - W10450109 - Dishwasher - Global Wash System.pdf
    16 MB · Views: 328

Dzejms

Premium Member
Thank you @bigbuck. I checked it out and didn't see anything about the Silverware Spray, although that PowerScour feature looks nice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.