• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDT730PAHV0 Whirlpool Dishwasher - replaced pump and assembly, but sprayers still only come on for a couple seconds

MarkAC

Model Number
WDT730PAHV0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi - I have a 3 year old Whirlpool WDT730PAHV0 dishwasher. Dishes weren't getting clean, and it had classic symptoms of a bad pump (would not spray or rotate arms at all during cycle), so I replaced the pump and motor assembly. The pump now at least works - at the beginning of the cycle you can hear it spray for a couple seconds, then turn off, then spray for a couple seconds, etc.

The problem is that it never enters the mode where it continues to spray for an extended period of time during the wash cycle. All it ever does is come on for a second or two, then turn off. During the main wash cycle when it should be on continuously, it doesn't come on at all.

I ran the diagnostic cycle and get F- E- codes at the end of the cycle. At the beginning of the diagnostic cycle, it displays F4 E3.

First, about diagnostic codes - do the codes displayed at the beginning and end of the diagnostic cycle both mean something? If they do, I assume the F4 E3 at the beginning of the diagnostic cycle means there is a problem with the pump or the controller. Since the pump is brand new, should I try replacing the controller? And the F- E- that is displayed at the end of the cycle - any idea what that is telling me?

About the pump/sprayer - assuming the new pump is good, any other suggestions of what may be wrong, such as the controller? Again, the pump definitely seems to be working - I can hear water spraying normally - it just doesn't pump as long as it should.

Thanks for your help -

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Rick is correct.

What I do is use my multimeter to check for a constant 120 volts to the wash motor after that first 4 or 5 times when the wash motor comes on briefly before it runs continuously.

When the wash motor should be running continuously you should see a constant 120 volts on your meter, if not then the control board Rick posted the link to above is the problem.

Jake