• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDT780SAEM1 Soap Intermittently Dispenses.

barnic

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT780SAEM1
Brand
Whirlpool
The dishwasher was not cleaning properly (the soap pod was not always dissolving) and I ran the diagnostic test and noticed a F7-1 code. I checked the resistance on the heating circuit and had continuity in the recommended range (I did not check the components individually). Reset the code and it seemed to work ok for a while. Noticed the dispenser was not always releasing all of the detergent or the packet would drop to the tub basing and not dissolve. Started to open the packet and still had intermittent issues. It would dissolve it completely sometimes and not others. Noticed another error related to the diverter I think it was a 9-1. (Cant find position). Noticed that the control board had corrosion on it at the connectors (Seems that coffee has leaked down into it). I replaced the control board as the components seemed unrelated and both had a "replace the control board" as a solution.

I have replaced the control board, do not have any diagnostic errors, but the dispenser still intermittly has soap in it (powdered soap, not in packet). I have run the service diagnostic cycle too with no errors. I took the middle washer arm off to see any debris in it, I found a piece of glass in there and a lentil that was blocking one hole, cleaned it, put it back in and still have intermittent issues. The service tech sheet says to look at the dispenser itself for this type of issue, but the door is open every time after a wash. Unless it opens fully later in the wash due to heat and doesn't open when it should? Any guidance would be appreciated. What does the diverter do actually btw? Does it send water to different arms? Could it have glass in it too? And is there a full service manual on this dishwasher available? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like the wash motor isn't running at all times in the wash cycle, this has been a common issue for this particular wash motor.

After the dishwasher fills with water, you should hear the wash motor come on and water should be splashing in the tub, then the wash motor will start and stop about 4 or 5 times while it senses the soil in the water. After the 4 or 5 times of the wash motor starting and stopping it will then run continuously for a very long time non-stop. Is if doing that?

If not, then the wash motor is the problem.

I've replaced 2 of these exact same wash motors myself in Parker, Arizona and it fixed them both.

The wash motor is on a national back order, but the complete wash motor pump assembly is in-stock and its only $10 more than the wash motor alone.

Here's the complete wash motor/pump assembly for your model you can order below, it also comes with a new diverter motor too:
Pump and Motor Assembly WPW10605057

You can replace the complete assembly WITHOUT removing the dishwasher from the cabinet, watch this video:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

barnic

Premium Member
Thanks for the help Jake. I'll have to monitor it next time. In a typical "normal wash" with heat dry (3+ hours), how much time will it be actually moving water around? Is there a spec sheet that lists the particular actions/ times for different cycle settings? Also, I opened it up mid wash last night with about 1hr 20 left. When I closed the door, I can hear a relay click on the control board about 5 times with no noise coming from the dishwasher besides that relay. After the fifth time the dishwasher seemed to do nothing for a least a minute. Does that relay control the wash motor or some other load? I didn't monitor it after that, but the cycle finished by morning. Thanks -Barry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The wash motor should run about 45 to 60 minutes continually.

The tech. data sheet only shows the Service Diagnostic Cycle times, not the normal wash cycle times. The tech. data sheet should be located behind your very bottom access panel.

Yes, the control board inside the control panel controls the power to the wash motor, you may want to disconnect power to the dishwasher first, then remove the control board and remove the plastic casing on the control board and look on both sides of the control board and see if you notice any burnt spots on it, if so then the control board is the culprit.

Here's the control board for your model:
W10854221 Cntrl-Elec

Jake