• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDT780SAEM1 Whirlpool dishwasher fills with water but then the wash cycle doesn’t start

Bcd

Model Number
WDT780SAEM1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,

I have a Whirlpool gold series WDT780SAEM model that is roughly 5 years old. I have read a lot of other threads with similar issues. My dishwasher fills with water but then the wash cycle doesn’t start. I assume based on the response that I need to replace the pump and assembly but the only reason I don’t think that’s my issue is when I run the diagnosis mode the pump turns on and the spray arms run.

I started having this issue and I found if I engaged the latch prior to closing it would run fine and sometimes I would have to reset the breaker for it to run a full cycle but recently neither of those options are working.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Brandon

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Brandon, Yes, when this problem happens its usually a bad wash motor, seen this many times on my service calls. The only way to really check is while its running a wash cycle after it fills with water. It may run fine in diagnostics, but not in a wash cycle.

To verify that--->Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

You can check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 is made by Whirlpool and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor.
(click to enlarge)
dishwash120volts.jpg

Here's the wash motor assembly for your model you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video to replace it:

Let us know how it goes after you replace it.

Jake