• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDT780SAEM1 Whirlpool Dishwasher will not hold water or cycle

EpicDadof4

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT780SAEM1
Brand
Whirlpool
So this DW started having issues about 6 mo ago. It occasionally would not complete the Sensor cycle. There would be steamy dishes but the detergent would still be clumped on the silverware tray on the door. Then the Sensor cycle stopped working but the 1-hr wash would work.

This is our 3rd DW in 10 yrs - diff brand each time so I don't expect much these days.... But then the 1-hr cycle stopped working. Ran diagnostics and no error code. Replaced water valve and still nothing. Then I decided to lay on the floor to feel and listen to the DW do its thing when I selected start and close the door. I can feel and hear the water valve open and water flowing through it and filling up the tub. I thought it was fixed.

Then about 20 later I opened the door and Nothing! Nothing was happening. I canceled then restarted the 1hr cycle but I opened the door during the fill time. There was water in the bottom! After doing this a few times it appears that the water flows into the tub but then right back out. I assume there is a timer that shuts the water off is the fill sensor does not respond in a pre determined amount of time. Help? Not sure what to replace next...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
After it fills with water the wash motor should turn on and you should hear water splashing in the tub. Is the wash motor not turning on after it fills? That would certainly explain why the detergent would still be clumped.

Usually it's the wash(circulation) motor that goes bad when this happens. I've replaced 2 myself in Parker, Arizona and it fixed them both.

Check for 120 volts at the electrical connector at the wash motor when it should be washing after it fills.
dishwash120volts.jpg

The wash motor alone is a higher price that the entire complete wash motor/pump assembly.

Here is the wash motor assembly alone for your model:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the complete wash motor/pump assembly for your model:
Pump and Motor Assembly WPW10605057

You can replace the complete assembly WITHOUT removing the dishwasher from the cabinet, watch this video:

Let us know how what you find.

Jake

EpicDadof4

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! To be sure I explained the issue properly, I removed the lower toe panel so i could hear and see what was going on. So I started a 1hr cycle. The water comes on and fills the tub. Then quiet. Then there is some faint clicking (relays I guess) for about 6-7 min, then the pump turns on and drains the tub. Then nothing. I opened the door about 10min into the cycle and the heater is on because the tub is all steamy. The pump seems to work so Im not sure that should be replaced... What do u think?
Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So I started a 1hr cycle. The water comes on and fills the tub. Then quiet. Then there is some faint clicking (relays I guess) for about 6-7 min
During that quiet time your wash motor should be running.:)

The clicking sound your hearing is very common when the wash motor goes bad.

then the pump turns on and drains the tub
Your drain pump is working great. Its the wash motor that's not coming on, that's why I posted that voltage test above you can do to verify that.:)

Jake