FIXED WDT780SAEM1 Whirlpool gold series dishwasher intermittently not going into wash cycle

tamsc

Premium Member
Model
WDT780SAEM1
Brand
Whirlpool
Our dishwasher sometimes will run a cycle and wash just fine, then the next time it will fill with water, but the arms don't start spinning to wash. The display doesn't show any problems, and continues to count down the time and show washing, then drying, etc, until finished, but it will not wash.

It seems like the only thing not working is the actual washing part, it fills, drains, dries and gets hot just fine. I can sometimes get it to work if after I let it fill and listen and notice it doesn't start to wash, cancel and drain, then start over, after a few times of that sometimes it will eventually wash.

If I listen after the water fills I can hear what I think is a relay that will click, click then after a few seconds, click, click again, (a few times) during the time when it should start to wash. We've replaced the main board, checked the water inlet valve and the inlet assembly and they are fine. We ran the diagnostics and it shows F6E4, F8E1, F7E1. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, It's most likely a bad wash motor, this has become a common problem as of late, many members here have reported the same. In fact I had 2 this past Sept. 2018 in Parker, Arizona that did the exact same thing, and the new wash motor fixed them both.:)

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 is made by Whirlpool, and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here is the wash motor assembly you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video to replace it: Dishwasher Circulation Pump Replacement Video

For a little less money you can order the complete assembly which comes with the wash motor already installed for you along with a new diverter motor too:
Pump and Motor Assembly WPW10605057

Let us know what you find.

Jake

tamsc

Premium Member
Ok, tested it with a multimeter and it's getting the 120 volts, so will try a new motor pump. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, then the new motor/pump assembly will fix it.:)

Let us know how it goes. If you need help replacing the motor/pump assembly just ask.

Jake

tamsc

Premium Member
Hello, finally replaced the wash motor and so far so good. After several washes now it seems to have fixed the issue. I wouldn't have thought that it was the wash motor since it worked sometimes, but that was it. Thanks much!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent tamsc, glad to hear the new pump and motor assembly fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake