WDT780SAEM1 Whirlpool not spraying, smoking after diagnostic test, water is entering tub.

IVEY

Premium Member
Model
WDT780SAEM1
Brand
Whirlpool
My dishwasher initially started releasing the "pod" prematurely and I would find it in the silverware basket after wash. I thought the water was not getting hot enough so i started running on HI-TEMP wash. This has worked for several weeks, however the past few weeks i have noticed the dishes aren't drying and the water that remains in the washer is a cloudy white and smells.

I took everything out, cleaned the arms and filter and replaced. I drained all of the water I could and performed a cleanse cycle with baking soda and vinegar. I attempted another dirty dish wash and same thing. Odor and dirty water film on dishes. The silverware was even soapy feeling almost like the pod released during the rinse cycle. I have run several cylces on different settings and now it appears the arms are not working.

It will fill with about an inch of water and then stop, the timer continues to count down and then it drains. Meanwhile there is a faint ticking coming from the underbelly. I ran a diagnostic this morning and it started smoking once complete. There was no water in it even though i felt water going to it through the silver water line. I'm trying to rule out exactly what may be wrong as i realize it could be an inlet valve issue or a motor issue.

I wasn't sure what to do after the diagnostics ran as it just stopped and no lights were on except the green one on front. No codes, nothing. Something could also be open so water will not stay in the tub. im assuming if there is no water in tub it will not transmit to the arms to turn right?? Initially it seemed like it was just filling up, releasing the pod and then rinsing, most of the dishes were clean, they just smelt bad and most of the plastics were dripping with water.

**I keep it filled with rinse aid**. Thank you for any input on what i need to try first to diagnose. **i have not flipped the breaker as thi time as it is not labeled so its going to be a task***

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Like I mentioned in that other thread you posted in, is to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor, it sounds like its not running.

In fact I had 2 this past Sept. 2018 in Parker, Arizona that did the exact same thing, and the new wash motor fixed them both.:)

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 made by Whirlpool uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here's the wash(circulation) motor assembly you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video that shows you how to replace it: Dishwasher Circulation Pump Replacement Video

Let us know what you find.

Jake

IVEY

Premium Member
thanks, that's what i assumed after reading that other thread. I'll see if i can get my hands on a multimeter.

IVEY

Premium Member
I have moved the dishwasher out and flipped it over. Mine has the non-removable pipe rings so i am unable to take the circulation pump off at this point. As long as all of my hoses are connected and power is on i should be able to perform an OHM test while still installed correct? Just unplug the connector and then while holding the meter on the connector, start a cycle? The meter reads 120 or over during cycle the pump is good? Can i test it without running a cycle? Also how can i get to my error codes or did overheating cause it to shut down and therefore not storing the codes correctly? I have cleaned everything, no clogs and i removed the drain pump to make sure it was free of debris and the propeller spins correctly. I just want to be 100% sure it IS the circulation motor before i break the hose ring and remove. Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
As long as all of my hoses are connected and power is on i should be able to perform an OHM test while still installed correct?
Correct for ohm testing, take the electrical connector off of the wash motor first and ohm test the wash motor terminals.

Just unplug the connector and then while holding the meter on the connector, start a cycle?
Yes, for voltage testing correct.

The meter reads 120 or over during cycle the pump is good?
No, that means the wash motor is bad because its not coming on when its connected to 120 volts.

Jake