• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WDT780SAEM1 - Whirpool Gold Dishwasher not completing cycle

Daniel Moran

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT780SAEM1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi,

I have had this WDT780SAEM1 Whirlpool Gold dishwasher for almost 5 years now, and it has been great, up until the last few months. It has seemed to not fully run through a cycle - there would be soap suds at the bottom (inside, below the lower basket), and about half way thorugh a cycle i would sometimes come and check and hear nothing happening at all, except a clicking sound. Or a click and it would start again for a couple of seconds then stop. Sometimes I would open it, press start again and it would help it run for more than the 2 secs. There would still seem to be soap or film on the dishes and a lot would not be fully clean. I have been using different types of soap from gel to individual block-packets, and I have made sure there is jet dry in that compartment, and I have had the same issues. However when using the soap blocks I found they would often still be sitting in the base of the machine when it was 'finished' it's cycle. I have also been trying the sensor setting, with the same results.

We've now stopped using it and my wife is growing impatient with my self-fix. I've tried flipping the breaker with no change. I have made sure there is hot water coming to the sink before running it.

Unfortunately I've been unable to figure out the error codes, or how to see them. There is no external display on this model, which makes things difficult since you need to open the door to see the codes. I tried pressing three buttons in a 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 format, which then made every light on the display light up. I have tried pressing start and closing the door. If i opened it again after 5 seconds it would say either F7, E1 or would flash F-, E-. I see that F7, E1 is the heating element, but during the longer diagnostic mode I have found the element to be hot at the end and sizzle when i poured water on it. When I tried to just let the diagnostic mode run, at the 14min mark there was a beep. But when I opened the door, all the lights were off and there was no code (this is when I tried cold water on the heating element). I have also left it for the full 23mins that another thread indicated was the time needed, there was no lights and no code.

Could someone please give me directions on how to properly determine the error codes?

From looking through past threads it seems like I need to order and install a new pump+motor, part # AP6023350/WPW10605057. Unfortunately I don't have a volt meter to check that the required volts are going to the pump/motor.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Daniel

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Daniel,

Yes, your reading the error code properly. The way these dishwashers heat water is the wash motor has to spray water over the heating element, thus the water heats up. If the wash motor is faulty then it can't spray any water over the heating element, thus you get error code 7-1.

Yes, that is the part you will need. I had 2 in Sept. 2018 in Parker, Arizona that did the exact same thing, and the new complete motor/sump assembly fixed them both.:)

Here's the complete motor/sump assembly for your model:
WPW10605057 PUMP&MOTOR

Do you know how to replace it?

Jake

Daniel Moran

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for your quick response.

No, I have not replaced anything in the dishwasher before, but I recall a how-to video that I think you posted in another thread - I think I'll attempt it myself, as I think it was the one where you just remove the front panel.

But before I order the part, I just wanted to confirm that even though the error code 7-1, since the element IS in fact heating up, it means that the element doesn't need replacing?

Also, I think there are two different links for that part and they seem to be at a similar price. Do you know if one is more preferable or faster in delivery than the other?

Many thanks,
Daniel

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
But before I order the part, I just wanted to confirm that even though the error code 7-1, since the element IS in fact heating up, it means that the element doesn't need replacing?
That is correct, the error code 7-1 is because the water is not getting hot, because the wash motor is not running, thus not spraying water over the heating element.

Also, I think there are two different links for that part and they seem to be at a similar price. Do you know if one is more preferable or faster in delivery than the other?
This one Daniel:
WPW10605057 PUMP&MOTOR

Jake

Daniel Moran

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks again. I've ordered the part. Just wanted to check if this is the instructional video that should work with my model as well:

Daniel

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Daniel, that video should be almost the same as your model.

Keep us posted.

Jake