• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WDT780SAEM2 Whirlpool Dishwasher leaks under the door from the right side

Status
Not open for further replies.

awagner

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT780SAEM2
Brand
Whirlpool
Hey all,

I have a 3 year old WDT780SAEM2 model washer that intermittently leaks from the right side. This has been frustrating for years and we've been putting towels underneath as a stop gap for a while. The situation has finally driven us crazy so I sat down and watched a complete 2.5 hr cycle with a small dish to collect the water. I identified the spot where the leak seems to be coming from, which is a white wire enclosure feeding what I think is a float sensor inside the washer.

Similar posts have identified other leak sources so I wanted to make sure this is a sane diagnosis. I interrupted the cycle to confirm that the water was not excessively sudsy and was not overfilled. Interestingly I felt around the seal where the white housing meets the washer body and it felt dry. The water seems to be leaking straight through where the wire/sensor enters the washer. Can anyone tell me what this part is and how to replace it? Thanks very much for all the help and advice on this forum.

-Andrew

Attachments

• Leak_interior.JPG
    Leak_interior.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Leak_water.JPG
    Leak_water.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Leak.JPG
    Leak.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 163

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Andrew,

Its possibly the float gasket.

Here's the float gasket for your model:
WP8531743 Gasket

There is a video in the float gasket part link to replace the float gasket, and it also shows you how to remove the float to see if its broken underneath it. Now the video tells you remove the entire dishwasher, which I never do when I do this job. I just remove the outer door panel to get more room under there. To remove the door panel just remove all the torx screws inside the door, then the outer door panel lifts up and out.

Here's the float for your model:
Float WPW10195036

Let us know what you find.

Jake

awagner

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! The video is very clear and a cracked float gasket would definitely explain the leak I observe. I'll order the part and tell you how it goes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake

awagner

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

Sorry for the late reply, it took a while for the gasket to show up. Like you said taking the door panel off was no big deal and replacing the gasket was a snap. The video instructions were very clear. The funny thing is that the gasket I replaced didn't seem damaged and a close inspection of the leak revealed that water was dripping straight down the float, as if the float was somehow getting stuck or the switch isn't working resulting in an overfill. I cleaned everything out and everything mechanically seems to work. I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Andrew

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Andrew, that's interesting, did you replace the float and float gasket?

The float could of had a hairline crack in it, if it doesn't leak anymore.:)

Jake

awagner

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I replaced only the float gasket. I inspected the float and couldn't see anything wrong. After re-installing everything I ran the dishwasher 3 times with loads of dishes and monitored the leak which seemed to be completely gone. It does remain a bit of mystery exactly what was causing the original leak but replacing the gasket seemed to do the trick. I'd say this job is done, thanks again for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Andrew, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.