• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WDT790SAYM1 Whirlpool Gold Series Dishwasher - lock light continuously beeps when closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuddyo

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT790SAYM1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello All,
Looking for a little help with the dishwasher in a home i just bought. The dishwasher is a Whirlpool Gold Series WDT790SAYM1 and looks to be in fairly good condition.
Currently if the dishwasher door is closed it beeps continuously till its opened. additionally the lock light blinks around once a second, and if any buttons are pressed the clean light flashes quickly.

I have read through and read through a lot of links here but cannot find my exact issue. I even tried to run the Whirlpool diagnostics sequence with nothing happening except the quickly flashing clean LED.

Im hoping someone on the forum has some ideas of where to start diagnosing this machine.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Did you hold the LOCK button in for 3 seconds to see if it will UNLOCK?

Do all the keys respond when you press them? If not, do the steps below. If so, then the control board is bad.

Check responsiveness of each key.
If some keys do not respond, then:
- Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
- Disassemble door and disconnect keypad connection from control board or LCD display module.
- Verify all other connections to control board are made.
- Reassemble door, but do not close door.
- Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power.
- Wait at least 7 seconds for control board to power up completely.
- Close dishwasher door and monitor control board response:
A. If control board is OK (no longer sees stuck keys with keypad unplugged), it will respond by turning on the drain motor for 2 minutes. Replace keypad and console.
B. If control board is not OK (still sees stuck keys with keypad unplugged), it will not turn on drain motor. Wait for at least 10 seconds. If there is still no drain response, then replace control board or LCD display module (whichever one the keypad was connected to).

Here's the control panel keypad assembly for your model:
WPW10629159 Housing-Ui

Here's the control board for your model:
W10482988 Electronic Control Board

Let us know what you find.

Jake

chuddyo

Premium Member
Thank you for the instructions Jake. The machine does nothing when holding down the lock button for 3 seconds. I'll follow the steps outlined and report back.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes let us know.

Jake

chuddyo

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
I followed your instructions to disconnect the keypad and no change except that the lights are now off of course. So I am going to go ahead and buy the replacement control board. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

Appreciate the help and I'll come back after replacing the board.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes keep us posted.

Jake

chuddyo

Premium Member
Well, I got the new control board, and put it in. put everything back together and closed it. I didn't hear the drain motor after restarting, but eventually did get the dishwasher to run half a cycle or so. noo more incessant beeping either. And the machine seems to recognise the board.
It filled with water at the bottom, and I even heard it drain out one time. But aside from those two tests i have been unable to get the washer to work. I'm not sure if i did something wrong to it or of there is another issue.
Right now not all the buttons will light up when pushed. Sensor works, ECO works and a couple others but when i push sensor or ECO and start the machine does nothing.

Maybe I could try running a diagnostics check or a reset procedure if there is one and someone know how to initiate?

I left it sitting overnight, incase there was a cycle trying to complete and nothing has happened.

Not ready to give up yet, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

chuddyo

Premium Member
Oh silly me the diagnostic cycle is an actual "cycle" with water and everything. I think I kept interrupting this process while it was running.
I will let it complete and then see if i can find some flashing codes that will tell me something.

Edit:
OK im doing this wrong i think. it runs the diagnostic cycle fine but there are no blinking lights.
When I start it ALL the lights come on and stay on till I close it. a few minutes later it starts running the cycle. the once it stops i open it and nothing. no lights no nothing.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then you will need to order and replace the control panel keypad assembly as well, it sounds like the bad control board shorted it out too.

Jake

chuddyo

Premium Member
Hi Jake, all,

I ordered the key panel as you suggested and installed it. The machine is working perfectly now after a couple of days of testing.
Thank you guys so much for your help here. I really appreciate it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent chuddyo, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.