• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WDT790SAYW3 Whirlpool Gold Dishwasher two error codes

lindsaynanderson

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT790SAYW3
Brand
Whirlpool
My dishwasher was not cleaning well, and I noticed that sometimes it would start washing but then stop and hours later the clean button would light up like it was finished but the dishes were not really clean. I figured out how to run a diagnostic and got two error codes. One was 6-4 for the float switch and the other was 10-1 for the soap dispenser. I replaced the float switch part and I am still having both errors. I haven't tried to replace the soap dispenser yet because I don't want to spend the money if it isn't going to fix the problem. I also noticed that the soap is dispensed within a minute of turning the dishwasher on and looking at the paper that came with the dishwasher it should not be doing it that quickly. What should I do? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It's more than likely the wash motor itself that's bad, been seeing quite of few of these go bad as of late.

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 made by Whirlpool uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here is the wash motor assembly you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Lindsay, sounds good, let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

lindsaynanderson

Premium Member
It was getting around 120 volts when I tested with the multimeter so I guess I will order the pump and motor assembly and hope that fixes it. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that will fix it.:)

Keep us posted.

Jake

lindsaynanderson

Premium Member
Good news and bad news. I put in the new pump and motor and the dishwasher is running all the way through and cleaning well again. However the soap dispenser still opens moments after starting a cycle and I still get both the original error codes when I run a diagnostic. Do I need to clear those codes in some way? Will that help with the soap dispenser? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Lindsey,

According to the Cycle timing chart the dispenser should open about 1 minute into the cycle.:)

Anytime you replace a part on these dishwashers you always have to run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

■ Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that now, and report back.:)

Jake

lindsaynanderson

Premium Member
I did the diagnostic and the two errors still flash at the end. It appears to be working fine though. According to the paper under my dishwasher I thought it was supposed to dispense a little later. Maybe I read it wrong.

IMG_1774.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yours says 1:44.:) Not to far off from 1:00. In the ballpark.

Did you let the diagnostics cycle run all the way through till it ended? 23 minutes?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Those errors should clear when you run the diagnostics all the way through if not, then your control board is malfunctioning, but if the dishwasher is working normal again after you replaced the pump and motor assembly, then I wouldn't worry about replacing the control board at this time.:)

Here's the control board for your model:
Control Board W10595569

Jake

lindsaynanderson

Premium Member
Thanks, yes I did. At the very end the clean button flashes the errors, when that is done the dishwasher beeps a couple times. It seems to be running fine right now so maybe I will leave it alone. Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes just keep using it and see how it does.:)

Jake