• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WDT920SADE2 Whirlpool Dishwasher not cleaning well

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyfritz

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT920SADE2
Brand
Whirlpool
I've had this DW for about 4 years now. At first it worked fine. Then it started leaving "sand" on some dishes. Then it started not cleaning glassware &etc very well. The glasses look all filmy. Sometimes it cleans OK, but usually not.

I don't see any obvious problems (blocked spin jets, etc). What should I try?

Added model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
W10698637a isn't the model number, Whirlpool Dishwasher model numbers start with WDT, WDF, DU

The model number tag is located inside the door on the tub frame.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

garyfritz

Premium Member
Our water here is very soft -- it's mountain snowmelt. I'd guess the grit came from the treatment plant, not from nature. I'll get some of the DW cleaner and see if that helps. Thanks Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Another thing that causes it is if your water is not hot enough coming into the machine to dissolve the detergent properly, it should be a minimum of 120 degrees.

I advise all my customers to run the hot water at the sink just before starting the dishwasher, so the first batch of water is not cold.:)

Jake

garyfritz

Premium Member
Yeah, and it's a looong run from the water heater to the dishwasher. The water runs over 30 seconds before it starts to get hot. I'll try running the hot water first.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes do that, you should see a big improvement.:)

Jake

garyfritz

Premium Member
OK, I ran a load after running the water until it was hot. I think it was slightly better, but the glassware is still filmy. Maybe it takes a few runs to scour off the cruft?

garyfritz

Premium Member
OK. I ran two more "pre-heated" cycles. The glassware isn't as sparkling clean as it used to be, but it's much MUCH better than it was. Maybe a few more runs will get it REALLY clean.

I'm a bit confused, though, why it started doing this. It worked fine for several years.

One bit that may be related... The silverware rack slips into pegs on the DW door. It's not a great design, since food bits get stuck behind the rack. Since those bits aren't getting flushed down the drain, they probably impact how clean the end result will be. Not sure if there's anything we can do about that.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, let it keep working, it takes time to get back to normal.

I'm a bit confused, though, why it started doing this. It worked fine for several years.

One bit that may be related... The silverware rack slips into pegs on the DW door. It's not a great design, since food bits get stuck behind the rack. Since those bits aren't getting flushed down the drain, they probably impact how clean the end result will be. Not sure if there's anything we can do about that.
Those are good questions, but I don't have the answers and I'd rather not speculate without knowing for sure.:)

Jake

garyfritz

Premium Member
Postscript: I figured out why "it worked well for several years" and then didn't ... My drain filter was coated in gross goo. Eww, I've been eating off dishes that were washed in water strained through that!?

I've only run one load since cleaning the filter, but it's already dramatically better.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Gary, thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.