WDT920SADM0 Soap pouches not fully dissolving, dishes dirty

samw5

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT920SADM
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool dw from 2013 that's been having some issues lately where the dishes remain dirty and soap tablets (cascade) don't get fully dissolved.

I have ran the dishwasher on empty with the bottom tray in and out... same issue.
I checked water level and temp. It's around the float when I open the dishwasher and water temp around 130F
I cleaned the filter
I checked the spray arms for any blockages
I opened the dishwasher once and was sprayed in the eye so I'm getting the bottom sprayer works.

I did replace the recirculating pump about 2 years ago and it's been working just fine since.

I'm a bit baffled now since it appears to spray, heat and provide water but doesn't clean.

I'm debating whether to fix, provided I can figure out what's wrong and whether a big expense like a new pump would even both worthy at this point.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I located that other thread where Rick suggested you replace the wash motor: WDT920SADM Whirlpool Gold dishwasher issues - not washing

I'm glad to hear that fixed it.:)

So now, after it fills do you hear the wash motor coming on and splashing water in the tub? On these models it does do a sense wash first, meaning the wash motor will start and stop about 4 times before the wash motor runs continually, is it doing that? Then does the wash motor run continuously for a long time and you hear the wash splashing in the tub the whole time?

Jake

samw5

Premium Member
Yup .. 3 times on a quick wash then the tub fills and the motor kicks in with the full wash.

Everything appears ok but for the soap not dissolving and dishes still dirty :(
Just don't know where to go from here.

IMG_20190523_200406.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is odd.

So when the dishwasher first fills with water its 130 degrees coming in? I'd double check that with a meat thermometer just to be sure.

When you open the door after the dishwasher is done do you have steam coming out?

Jake

samw5

Premium Member
Yup... On both counts. Used a ir thermometer. Steam is coming out and does feel very warm.

samw5

Premium Member
also I tried liquid detergent instead... it's a little better at taking care of the detergent however the dishes don't get cleaned up very well either which is the main issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, You may have a partially blocked water port in the sump causing this problem.

Here's the sump assembly for your model:
WPW10455268 Sump

When you click the link to the sump part, you will see a video on how to remove it to check for partial blockages in it and then how to replace it.

Jake

samw5

Premium Member
OK took the sucker apart this weekend and made sure that everything was spot cleaned.
At this point I didn't find any blockages in neither pumps. Now both arms had some food left overs stuck in them which I thoroughly cleaned.

I still seem to have spotty cleaning and issues with the soap not completely getting dissolved. I'm suspecting some type of issues with the mid level arm --- looking at the design the arm should be providing the "flush" needed to the soap dispenser. I've literally took the arm apart and opened it up and didn't find anything... so I'm a bit puzzled.
I also checked the entire line going to the arm, including the tubing going under the upper tray. No blockages.

So at this point I'm still at a loss. Either the pump isn't generating enough pressure which seems a little odd or maybe the valve on the back of the upper tray possibly preventing the pressure from building up but again it's not very complicated so I can't see these things failing. Same thing with the arm... I can't really see it needing to be replaced.

Any inputs would be welcome.

IMG_20190527_105631.jpg

IMG_20190527_113004.jpg

IMG_20190527_113009.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When the wash motor comes on do you hear the water splashing in the tub the whole time its on?

Jake

samw5

Premium Member
i believe so... i'm not by the washer the entire time but popped the door opened here and there and things are still dripping. i just found a small leak putting everything back together, looks like the seal on the recirculating pump had a small tear so I'm going to have to order a new one provide you think it's worth fixing at this point since i still don't really know what's wrong with it.

Do you have a good way to test the motor other than just opening the door while in cycle? at this point i'm willing to try anything.

TY for the assist BTW! Greatly appreciate it!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, do what you did in your other thread when you said this:
i then applied 120v directly to the circulating pump motor with impeller cover off... impeller seems to turn however not very fast. probably could stop it by hand.
And see if the wash motor impeller is running slow like it was on the old one you replaced.:)

Jake

samw5

Premium Member
ok tested the pump directly on 120v. It's turning fine, spins about like a small fan would do.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so its spinning fast and not slow? Think you could stop it with your hand Like the first bad one?

Jake

samw5

Premium Member
Definitely wouldn't be able to stop it by hand without getting cut at least. Few hundred rpms I would say.

samw5

Premium Member
Could there possibly be an issue with the upper rack spray arm? Do these things go bad? It's almost as if it's just not pushing enough water thru it... Bottom rack dishes always seem better than top.
Also it seems that the upper arm is what's supposed to push the soap out of the dispenser... I've verified the ports and even opened it up to make sure there wasn't any blocages but at this point the issue just seems to be pointing at this particular area causing the issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

It may be a bad diverter motor.

Look at the timing chart in the tech. data sheet and it tells you when the diverter should activate the lower(LOW) spray arm and upper(UPR) spray arm.

Here's the diverter motor for your model:
W10537869 Motor

Jake

samw5

Premium Member
Hmmm, can't seem to find that tech data sheet for the diverter valve... where would I find this?

samw5

Premium Member
nm i think you meant the service manual which should be in the bottom part of the washer. let me check that first.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I need the very last digit of your model number, can you please tell me what it is? The model number tag is located inside the door on the tub frame.

It should be one of these below:
WDT920SADM0
WDT920SADM1
WDT920SADM2
WDT920SADM3

Jake