• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WDT970SAHZ0 Whirlpool Dishwasher - Clicking noise and not washing dishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric859

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT970SAHZ0
Brand
Whirlpool
I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue. It's filling and draining fine. Just not washing. I know the spray arms are supposed to spin and shoot water during the wash cycle, but when that happens I hear a clicking noise from something and the arms don't spin. Also, water trickles out of the arms. I figured it was the circulation pump, so I replaced it. Same problem. Searching online seems to always show the circ pump as the issue, but if there's a seperate motor that spins the arms that's not working, then that may be the issue. But if it's just an issue with a motor spining the arms while the pump is applying the water pressure, then wouldn't water be spraying out of the completely still arms instead of just trickling out? Questions I have:

1. Is there a motor completely seperate from the circulation pump that is causing the clicking noise and not working?​
2. Is there a valve somewhere that may be stopping the motor and/or circ pump from working entirely?​
3. Is there a way to tell the dishwasher to just run the circ pump instead of a full wash cycle so I can test the 120v power flow with a multimeter? I have to take the dishwasher out and lay it down to access the pump, so I can't just tell it to go through a whole cycle and wait until I think it is sending power to the pump.​
4. Is there a diagnostic that I can use with this specific dishwasher?​
I'm going nuts here. Most of the videos I see online don't match up with my specific dishwasher, so it's hard to do this myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
What's the part number of the part you just replaced? It sounds like a circulation motor or diverter motor problem. When there's a circulation motor problem we always recommend replacing the pump motor assembly. The assembly comes with a new sump and diverter motor for the same price. Check for error codes. The control can store up to 4 error codes.

W10537869 Diverter Motor

Error codes look like F-# E-#.

With the machine empty and in standby mode:

Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses.

The Service Diagnostics cycle will start when the door is closed.

Let the diagnostic cycle finish.

eric859

Premium Member
Thank you for the reply! I believe I found the issue. I'm almost positive it's the diverter motor. I wish I knew about the assembly being the same price as a pump, I'm going to send back the pump, reinstall the old pump which I now know still works and I should be good to go. I'm getting the motor tomorrow so I'll update the thread with the results.

eric859

Premium Member
It was the diverter motor. Much cheaper to replace than the pump. Working perfectly now. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.