• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)
  • Important Announcement

It's with sad news to announce that our site owner, Jake, has passed away. You can read the details here.

FIXED WDTA50SAHV0 Whirlpool Dishwasher Not Draining Completely

Xkse

Premium Member
Model Number
WDTA50SAHV0
Brand
Whirlpool
Every so often my dishwasher doesn’t completely drain. If I run a drain cycle after it’ll drain the rest of the water. I pulled off the drain hose from the pump side and checked the check valve, seemed fine.

Using my finger I could rotate the impeller about 180 before encountering some spring back resistance, but I haven’t pulled the pump off yet (is that normal?)

Doesn’t seem like there’s an obstruction in the hose, I attached a shop vac from the disposal end and sucked what I could out.

Any thoughts?

Using my finger I could rotate the impeller about 180 before encountering some spring back resistance, but I haven’t pulled the pump off yet (is that normal?)
Yes, that's normal.

What I usually do FIRST is get a bucket or container then put the drain hose in it and press cancel drain to see how fast the water is running out into the bucket or container, it should be a good strong flow out of the drain hose.

If that's fine, then I check the drain pump for 120 volts in the final drain cycle.

What I do is remove the electrical connector from the drain pump and put my meter leads in each of the two electrical connector slots and when it gets to the final drain cycle, watch the meter, if your meter reads 120 volts and the drain pump is not running, then the drain pump is bad, and it will need to be replaced.

Watch this video to access it:

You can see the 2 brown wires in the video still, that's your electrical connector wires.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
W10876537 Pump-Drain

ALSO---->Make sure your dishwasher drain hose has a high loop in it before it connects to the garbage disposal or sink plumbing.

You can see how it has to loop in Fig 1, Fig 1a, Fig 2 here:

drain-help.jpg

Awesome, thanks Jake!

I will check the flow next time this happens by going from the drain hose straight into a bucket instead of the disposal.

When you say “final drain cycle”, is that during the cancel drain cycle or a normal wash cycle? If the latter, how do you time it appropriately?

Either way is fine to do.

If the latter, how do you time it appropriately?
You'd need to stay at the dishwasher for the whole cycle, I know its boring, but there's no other way to time it. You can just do the shortest cycle, on your model I see the shortest cycle is a 1 hour cycle.

I know the pump is working because actuating the drain pump gets all the water out; is the test you’re referring to only if the pump isn’t actuating at all?

Only if its not working properly in the FINAL drain.:)

Oh, so basically run a short cycle like you mentioned and listen/watch to see if it is trying to drain during the final cycle.

If not do it again and see if the meter is getting 120V when it should be draining. If 120V, pump is bad. If not, cca is bad?

How do you know when the "final" drain cycle should be?

Yes, that's exactly correct.

How do you know when the "final" drain cycle should be?
You have to stay at the dishwasher for the full hour, then after the final rinse you will hear the wash motor shut off, then the drain pump should come on for the final drain.

I’m thinking the pumps dead. Didn’t drain anything after a 1 hr cycle, could hear it humming but nothing moving. Also couldn’t get the manual drain to work. 120v on the connector.

I’ll take the pump off but will probably order a new one regardless, unless there’s something stuck in there preventing it from turning.

Took the pump off and applied power, it spins fine and isn’t damaged. I’ll keep looking

Last edited:
One other thing i noticed; i have a high loop, but then it dips all the way down (lower than the p trap) then up back to the disposal. I'm guessing it's been like that for a while

I’m thinking the pumps dead. Didn’t drain anything after a 1 hr cycle, could hear it humming but nothing moving. Also couldn’t get the manual drain to work. 120v on the connector.
Took the pump off and applied power, it spins fine and isn’t damaged.
Then your drain pump is intermittently failing since your meter said 120 volts coming to the drain pump, when the drain pump just hums.

One other thing i noticed; i have a high loop, but then it dips all the way down (lower than the p trap) then up back to the disposal. I'm guessing it's been like that for a while
That's fine as long as the high loop goes up above the garbage disposal or sinking plumbing first.

Ok, so I’ll have to run a cycle, wait to hear the pump start to try, disconnect the connector and check voltage.

However when I tried to run the manual drain cycle I could hear the pump humming but not draining. Then I did it again to check the voltage. Up until that point the manual drain cycle had been working

Yes, like I mentioned if its humming and your getting 120 volts to it, then its either bad, or u have a foreign object in it(like a seed or somthing) jamming up the impeller in it, thus the hum.

So I removed the pump, cleaned the hose the best I could, and installed a new pump. The new pump was getting the same exact resistance as the old pump, however the first cycle with the new pump everything drained fine.

Either the old pump was intermittent when I heard it humming, or perhaps I cleared a clog somewhere? Not really sure but so far so good.

The new pump was getting the same exact resistance as the old pump, however the first cycle with the new pump everything drained fine.

Either the old pump was intermittent when I heard it humming, or perhaps I cleared a clog somewhere? Not really sure but so far so good.
Yes, it may have been intermittent, glad to hear the new drain pump fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Users who are viewing this thread

Support Our Site

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation, please consider making a donation.

Back