WDTA50SAHZ wash motor sitting idle for 90% of the time.

Greg5OH

Premium Member
Model Number
WDTA50SAHZ
Brand
Whirlpool
Washer is about 1.5 years old. 10 months in it stopped washing dishes, had a guy come out under warranty and replaced something. Dont know what I wasnt home. Worked again.

Now I am seeing the wash tablet not dissolving and dishes not being cleaned and the dishwasher sits idle for a long time between drain cycles.

Im testing it in 1 hr wash mode. I checked the pump by putting 120V to it and it runs. The top arm spins and puts out a good stream.

Basically, it will do the initial purge, then fill, then do a wash (i can hear and feel the water splashing around up top) does that for about 3 mins, then stops, sits idle for about 10 mins, then drain. then nothing for 10 mins. Fills, does nothing for 10 mins, drains.
Then maybne 1 or 2x more it will run the wash pump for 3 mins. But for the most part it sits idle.

Dishes not getting fully cleaned and the tablet isnt dissolving.

Strange issue to me. Seems like the wash motor just isnt getting commanded on..What would cause it to not get the on command?

Greg5OH

Premium Member
How do you know its that? Why does it it turn on some of the time not all the time? If control board was bad ie burnt circuit it wouldnt work period no?
Do you have the diagnostic procedure for this unit perhaps?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If control board was bad ie burnt circuit it wouldnt work period no?
No, it's most likely a problem with the on board MICOM. Your tech sheet is located behind the lower panel. It will have the steps for entering test mode.

Greg5OH

Premium Member
Hmm found user manual but not tech sheet. Online i found how to put it in diagnostic mode. But the errors werent making sense. I had a whole slew of codes, some indicating issue with the door which i never had... one code 5-2 does say comm problem with board to motor... but im not sure which codes to read or believe?

Can i clear them all somehow, run a normal cycle and recheck diagnostic codes before i spend 125$?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hmm found user manual but not tech sheet........ one code 5-2 does say.....
You found the user manual where the tech sheet should be?? The user manual comes in a package with the warranty information, mounting brackets, hose clamps, and a free sample of Cascade detergent. It's usually attached to the top rack when you take it out of the box. It's too big to fit in the plastic envelope the tech sheet comes in. Where did you find it? Where did you read the 5-2 error is a problem with board to motor?

Can i clear them all somehow, run a normal cycle and recheck diagnostic codes.....
Yep, all that information is on the tech sheet. Usually the 6th interval is a 10 second pause with the high temp LED illuminated. Press the hi-temp wash to clear the error codes. It's not the same for all models but that is the most common. I'll see if I can locate the tech sheet. SB

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi all,

Here's the tech. data sheet for this model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jkf2eafZJD2XjRoVoUKf5L6wmis9vLUD

Rick it maybe more likely the wash motor, this has become a common problem as of late, many members here have reported the same, including myself as I had 2 bad wash motors in Parker, Arizona last fall that did the same thing, they would fill then nothing, no wash motor sound at all.

To verify that, this is what I do:
Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle and running.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use a multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running then your wash motor is bad.

Here's the complete wash motor/sump assembly for your model: W11087376 PUMP&MOTOR Which includes the wash motor already installed for you, and a new diverter motor already installed for you. All you do is remove the old wash motor/sump assembly, then install the new wash motor/sump assembly and your done.:)

Its the exact same price as the wash motor by-itself: W11084656 Motor-Pump

Let us know what you find.

Jake