• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

"Weak" Jenn-air

Mdrowe

Premium Member
My 20-year-old Jenn-air range just got "weak," i.e. it has power and the breakers seem OK but the fan doesn't work, the oven light is on but dim, and all elements only get warm. In my ignorance, I assume it is getting only 120 V when it wants 240 V. Is there some internal fuse that could shut off half of the power or some such?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Model#?

I assume it is getting only 120 V when it wants 240 V

Very possible. Bad house fuse, 1/2 tripped breaker, burnt wire ( in the range or in the house power line for the range ).

jeff.

Mdrowe

Premium Member
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your thoughts. It is Model D120.

I just came home from dinner, and the light no longer works at all. I think you are right about a burned wire. We just happened to catch it in the middle of burning out.

Michael

Model#?

Very possible. Bad house fuse, 1/2 tripped breaker, burnt wire ( in the range or in the house power line for the range ).

jeff.[/quote]

Mdrowe

Premium Member
Jeff:

As usual, most simple things have simple solutions.

In checking for bad wires as you recommended, I took out the drawer under the range and found that the plug had been bumped halfway out of the socket because the drawer hardware had come loose and the drawer had gone in crooked. The plug was in the socket just enough to make the lights work and not much else.

We had planned to cook Christmas dinner at a friend's house and cart it all home. Now all is well.

Aloha and Happy Holidays,
Michael