• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Weak seal and frost in the freezer

ibis81

Premium Member
Model Number
PSS27SGMDBS
Brand
GE
This forum has helped in the past and I hope it comes through again. I have a side by side arctica fridge freezer that is acting strange lately. The freezer is warming up enough to create frost on food in the freezer. It is not a tremendous amount of frost but some. Vegetables and stuff like that are not lasting like they should.

Some additional symptoms:

The door does not seem to have the same strength seal as in the past.

The Ice Maker seems to make too much ice. We thought maybe that is preventing the door from closing but I dont think it is. We have also checked all the wire drawers and they seem to be closed.

There is a louder motor noise intermittently. It sounds like a grinding motor noise. This one will run even if the door is open. There is also a more normal motor noise that stops if the door is opened.

Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It sounds like your door gasket is bad, which door is the issue? Air leaks in from a warm kitchen causes this issue.

Check all around your door gasket for rips or torn spots in it.

For the motor noise, sounds like your evaporator (freezer) fan motor is going bad.

Here's the parts diagram:
00120147.gif

You would need to take off the lower access panel#213 then remove the evaporator fan plenum#167, then disconnect the connector to it, then it should all pull out so you can change the evaporator fan motor#610.

Here's the one for your model you can order:
Manufacturer part number WR60X10185 is RepairClinic item number 1170107
WR60X10185

Here's the NOTE that comes with it:
Note: Some models will need this motor if there is a thermistor at the motor harness: 914169

Jake

ibis81

Premium Member
It actually seems like both doors have a weak seal. That's why I thought it might not be the problem. Any way to test it otherwise?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Not that I'm aware of. If both door seals are weak, the cost to get the seals and motor may be too much to spend on an older refrigerator like you have.

Jake