FIXED WED4815EW1 Whirlpool dryer get hot but won't spin

rayians

Premium Member
I'm assuming we we can safely eliminate a grounded element? Jake's last thought was the timer which he had me test terminal X to F, which had no continuity.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
read my last post.

rayians

Premium Member
I decided to put everything back together to see if I still have the problem with the element staying on. I assembled the dryer completely, plugged it in, and now I have absolutely nothing! No glowing element or any other signs of life. I can hear the timer trying to run so the dryer definitely has power, but now I'm on the other end of the scope with absolutely no response from trying to run the dryer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'd first Check the dual breaker in your home breaker box, if one or both is tripped, it can cause the dryer not to run. What I do on my service calls is reset BOTH breakers turning them completely OFF, then turn them BOTH back ON again and bingo it's back to normal, if one is tripped!

If your dual breaker is not tripped, then pull your dryer out from the wall, then unplug it, then check your terminal block where your power cord connects to.

I see that happen a lot too, look here:
(click to enlarge)
FriedWires.jpg

If you see no broken wires at the terminal block, then The first thing I always do is use my multimeter to do a volt test at the dryer terminal block, where the power cord connects to it.

Make sure your getting 230-240 volts at the terminal block in the back of your dryer. The outer wires are hot, middle wire is neutral. Set your meter on AC Volts, then put your meter probes on each of the two outer wires at the terminal block and see what your meter reads, you should get 230-240 volts between the two outer wires on the terminal block.

Jake

rayians

Premium Member
I've been back and forth with this for almost a month. What I've figured out is I've got more than one thermal fuse blowing at a time. I've thoroughly cleaned the entire vent system and am certain there are no clogs. I've checked the temp of the output of the dryer, it seems to be around 110F, so it's not extraordinarily hot. Something interesting was discovered today, however. The heating element stays on, even if the motor is not running, and even if the dryer door is open. This happens if the timer is anywhere in the timed dry cycle. If I move the timer to off, the heating element turns off. What could be causing this, Jake, and are the thermal fuses blowing likely related to the element staying on?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It seems to me then your heating element is grounded, Unplug the dryer from the wall outlet, then take a video to show us how you are ohm testing the heater coil terminals to the metal heater housing.

Jake

rayians

Premium Member
The heating element when tested from each terminal to housing has continuity. Looks like I'm finally on to something. Going to order a new heating element and report back!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The heating element when tested from each terminal to housing has continuity.
Bingo! Yes, that indicates your heating element is grounded, the new heating element will fix it.:)

Here's the heating element for your model:
279838 Heating Element

Jake

rayians

Premium Member
It's been about 2 weeks since I changed the heating element. I'm happy to report no further problems! The dryer is working like brand new. THANK YOU once again Jake, I'm sending you a small token of my appreciation.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
(y) Excellent rayians, glad to hear the new heating element fixed it.

Thanks for the update and the gift you sent.:)

Jake