• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WED6400SW1 Whirlpool Dryer not running

snake61047

Premium Member
Model Number
WED6400SW1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi and thank you
I was able to pull the f31 code. what i found on the internet stated that the code meant that i had low or 0 voltage on one of my lines going to the dryer. I have since checked and have 124v on both lines going to the dryer and a good ground. Wife said it just quit working mid cycle. I evebn reset my breaker just t

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'm attaching your tech data sheet below. There is no F31 on this model, It stops at F30.:)

Do the console lights come on, but the dryer won't start?

I'd first ohm test your thermal fuse with a multimeter. Unplug your dryer first before taking it apart and ohm testing the thermal fuse.

Watch this video to ohm test it:

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order here, if yours is bad:
Thermal Fuse WP3392519

Watch this video to access it:

Jake

Attachments

snake61047

Premium Member
Yes the lights all come on. Then when you hit start it goes into sensing mode and then does nothing. You can hear a click when you press start. and again when you hit cancel coming from the machine. Why in the heck would it hive an f31 code in none exists? I will ohm it tonight when i get off work. Thanks for the help.
Josh

snake61047

Premium Member
I also started reading the tech sheet and performed the voltage test. The machine is seeing 24v per the sheet. the less light is lit up and display is as 24-25.

snake61047

Premium Member
If you read the tech sheet It tells you how to get the dryer to display voltage that it reads. It does this by giving you the second two numbers of the voltage on the digital display then it uses less normal more lights to tell you the range. Normal would be a hundred volts more would be 200 volts less would be zero volts. So my dryer was reading less and then read 24 which means the dryer is only seeing 24 volts instead of 124 volts per leg. Hope this helps

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then you have a electrical problem in your home breaker box.

You should be getting 240 volts between the two HOT 120 VOLT LEGS.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have since checked and have 124v on both lines going to the dryer and a good ground.
You said you had 120 volts on each leg not across each leg. Put your meter probes on each of the outer two terminals on your dryer's terminal block and see if you get 240 volts.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok good, now let's test for Ghost Voltage. Put the dryer on TIMED DRY 40 minutes.

Keep your meter probes on the outer two terminals on the dryer terminal block and have someone press the start button on the dryer and see if the volts drop below 100 volts.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then ohm test the terminal fuse.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, sorry my bad, yes thermal fuse, damn typo!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that indicates the thermal fuse is the culprit.

The number 1 cause of a thermal fuse to blow out is a vent restriction either in the vent exhaust hose in the back of the dryer or outside where the vent duct vents outside.

Whenever I replace the thermal fuse I always Pull the dryer out from the wall, then check that vent exhaust hose for lint clogs, and go outside the house and do the same where it vents outside.

Jake

snake61047

Premium Member
will do thank you so much. is that fuse available at like the big box store and any other store i would find locally?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its not available at any big bix store, only online at my link to it above in post #2, or at a appliance parts store in your area if you have one.

Jake