• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WED72HEDW0 Whirlpool Duet dryer will not run. Wet light stays on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mannfamily

Premium Member
Model Number
WED72HEDW0
Brand
Whirlpool
My model WED72HEDW0 stopped working today. When I try to run it on timed dry the wet light comes on. The drum will not spin. I tried diagnostic mode (more time -- less time -- more time -- less time)

I got 88 code then EE when I opened the door. I closed the door hit the start button and got a 72. Any ideas or suggestion. Unit is just over 1 year old.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

This is a newer model I haven't worked on yet, I see you have the tech. data sheet since you tried diagnostics mode, What does the tech. data sheet say to test when the dryer won't start?

I don't have the tech. data sheet for this model.

Have you tried other cycles like TIMED DRY and AIR FLUFF/NO HEAT? To see if the dryer starts?

Does it make any sound at all when you push the start button?

Jake

Mannfamily

Premium Member
I don't have the tech spec sheet. I figured the key sequence for diagnostic mode would be the same as for other duet dryers.

I only get the wet light on timed modes. On the other cycles I get an L2 code about 20 seconds after I press the start key. The manual says that is a code for low line voltage. I verified that I get 243 volts at the outlet.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I think I know what's going on here then, since this is a fairly new dryer.

If your getting 220-240 volts at the electrical outlet, Then you should Unplug your dryer, and pull it out from the wall and remove the metal cover where your power cord connects to your dryer and see if any of the 3 wires have burned.

Look at this from another member that had this same issue:

(click to enlarge)
IMG_1195.jpg

If you find that you also has a burnt hot wire like in the photo above, then you would need a new terminal block kit and new dryer cord, as that's the cause of this problem.

Here's the terminal block kit for your model you can order:
279320 Terminal Block Kit

Jake

Mannfamily

Premium Member
I was hoping to find a burned up terminal block, but no such luck. It looked good and all the connections were tight. Just to double check, I checked voltage at the terminal lugs and it was all good. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

I was hoping that as well, so now you'd have to get your tech. data sheet out from inside the dryer and do what it says to do when the dryer won't start. The tech. data sheet should be either in the top console area or at the very bottom of your dryer on the inside inner panel wall.

This is so new I don't have the tech data sheet or service manual for this model yet.

I always check the thermal fuse after checking for the proper voltage to the machine, and checking the terminal block on the machine.

Whirlpool does use the same thermal fuse as their previous models.

Always Unplug or turn the breaker off to your dryer first before opening it up and ohm testing.

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order here if needed:
Thermal Fuse 3392519

This video shows how to test it:

This video shows how to access/replace it:

Let us know what you find.

Also since its so new and just out of the 1 year warranty, you might want to contact Whirlpool at 1-800-253-1301, many times they will do a one time courtesy service call for free when a new appliance breaks down just after the warranty.

Ask to speak to customer relations or customer retention.:)

Jake

Mannfamily

Premium Member
I forgot to post an update. I did as you suggested. I called and asked Whirlpool to extend the warranty. They were not willing. Instead they offered to charge me something like $280 to cover the repair and extend the warranty by a year. I passed on that offer and started pursuing a claim with American Express since they double the warranty (up to 1 year) on purchases.

They wanted an estimate so I scheduled an authorized repair through Whirlpool. The technician searched for a while to find the problem, and he ultimately discovered that the belt had broken. It was hard to tell because the belt was sitting in the right place on the drum. He said usually the fall off. On his own, he was able to convince Whirlpool to cover this repair. So it was fixed for free.

Thanks Jake for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, I'm glad they covered it, thanks for the update.:)

Yes, I forgot about the broken belt switch as being the cause too of your dryer not starting, sorry about that. I'm still used to the earlier models that didn't have a broken belt switch, in which the motor would still come on and run, but the drum would't turn.:)

Here's the belt for this model:
Drive Belt 661570V

Here's the broken belt switch for this model:
Belt Switch W10847984

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.