• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WED9150WW1 Whirlpool Dryer overheating and then won't start

edewease

Premium Member
Model Number
WED9150WW1
Brand
Whirlpool
My Whirlpool dryer would not power on at all. Called a repairman. He came and looked at it and said the heating element had gone out and replaced it. I had noticed that it appeared to be overheating before it quit. The clothes were literally too hot to touch and the end of the cycle. We replaced the heating element and it worked. 2 loads later, it overheated and quit again.

This time it would power on but would not start. Thermal fuse was replaced. 1 load later, it overheated and quit. Vent hose and lint trap were thoroughly cleaned. 2nd New fuse put on. Overheated and quit again.

Next, high limit thermometer was replaced. Ran for a another couple of loads then overheated and quit again. Finally, thermistor was replaced. It ran for a load or two, overheated, and quit again. Now, we are $300 deep with a repairman that said he warranties his work for 30 days but won't make this right.

His next step would be to replace the motherboard for another $220 and he isn't sure if that's even the problem. I would buy a new one before replacing the motherboard.
Is there anything else that I can do? It doesn't make sense why replacing each of those parts caused it to work properly temporarily. Any advice appreciated.

Corrected Brand and Added model number

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
W10211896 is not the model number, the model number will start with two or three LETTERS first. The model number tag is located inside the door.

The model number will look something like this--->EED4400WQ0

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
WED9150WW1 is Whirlpool, not Estate. Estate appliances start with "E". Whirlpool appliances start with "W".:)

The problem is usually the heat relay on the control board is stuck closed, meaning the heating element will always stay on.

To verify: Unplug the dryer, then that board should be under the top panel on the left side standing in the front of your dryer.

Then use a multimeter to ohm test the HEATER RELAY. You will see on the circuit board the word HEAT RELAY, or HEATER RELAY, remove the two wires from it first and ohm test that relay, it should be OPEN not closed. Closed would show continuity which would be 0 ohms. OPEN means your meter will NOT change numbers.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
WPW10235613 Electronic Control Board

Jake

edewease

Premium Member
Thank you. I will look into it. So the entire control board would have to be replaced? I was afraid of that.
also, thank you for tour patience in the wrong brand/model number. I obviously do not know much about appliances.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Ed, entire control board must be replaced.

Keep us posted.

Jake