• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WED9400SU0 Whirlpool Duet Dryer Burning up!

Mikey D

Premium Member
Model Number
WED9400SU0
Brand
Whirlpool
Please Help Dryer Burning up! Model Number: WED9400SU0

I have a Whirlpool Duet Dryer. I'm blowing thermal fuses. Vent is lent free to roof and fuse even blows when vent line removed. Checked continuity of thermistor, thermostats and coil all good. Just noticed that coil is glowing when in air dry only mode. Didn't get any error codes. Anyone have a idea what could be the problem, I don't just want to blindly swapping parts. Do you think it would be control board. Do you have it?

Added correct model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Wx4usa

Premium Member
I’m afraid that’s not a good model number. The model number will be in a label inside the door.

Wx4usa

Premium Member
If the coil is glowing in air dry mode you probably have a grounded element. This means that it will get hot and not cycle off when it should thus causing thermal fuses to fail. With the dryer unplugged, check for continuity between the element connectors and the metal element housing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mikey,

Wx4usa had to go out of town.

If you have continuity between the heating element terminals and the metal element housing then your heating element is grounded, that's why your getting heat in the AIF FLUFF/NO HEAT cycle and that's why it keeps blowing your thermal fuse.

You will need to replace the heating element.

Here's the heating element for your model you can order:
WP8544771 Heating Element

Let us know how it goes!

Jake