• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WED95HEDW0 Whirlpool Duet Dryer Check Vent Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmpilot

Premium Member
Model Number
WED95HEDW0
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer I purchased in March of 2015. The dryer (WED95HEDW0) check vent light illuminated recently after a few minutes of starting a drying cycle.

I disconnected the vent line and ran several drying cycles venting into the house with no check vent light illuminating. Thinking there may be a vent line issue, I disconnected the vent line out of the house and ran a snake (with towel attached) through several times and I am fairly sure the vent out of the house is unobstructed. When I reattached the dryer, the check vent light still illuminates after running.

So, I took the machine apart and found trace amounts of lint here and there, but no major obstructions. I cleaned the machine thoroughly (since I had it open) and all seems to operate ok, but the check vent light still illuminates.

I have since found that in timed mode, the light does NOT illuminate. This leads me to believe that a sensor (not active in timed mode) is the issue. Would that be the thermistor? I saw two sensors down-line of the blower that I suspect may be the culprits.

To throw a wrinkle (dryer humor) into the mix, when I detach the hose from the vent lines and run in Normal mode (sensor on), the check vent light does not illuminate. Which would lead one to believe the vent is the issue, but again, I cleared that.

One more piece of info. When the check vent light is on I notice more moisture in the dryer collecting on the window and reduced lint being trapped.

So, I think its a sensor that is jacked up. Any ideas?

Thanks,
- Pete

Last edited:

pmpilot

Premium Member
And by sensor, I mean the High-Limit Thermostat and Inlet Thermistor, not the Thermal Fuse.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I think its still a vent exhaust problem.

How long is your vent run to the outside? Any 90 degree elbow turns in it?

Jake

pmpilot

Premium Member
Jake,

There are too many elbows for sure. There’s an elbow in the wall at the hookup, the line drops three feet or so it can run below the first level then elbows again for a 16’ lateral run out of the house. I took the down elbow apart (super hard to reach) and did find some lint build up there but I cleaned it all out without any change on the dryer error.

We’ve been running this dryer on this venting for 3+ years without issue. I wouldn’t have plumbed it with 90s like the builder did, but it has been working fine to date.

It’s a steam dryer so I’d assume it is throwing moist air down the lines which could cause caking over time. But again, I ran a snake with towels tied to the end to clear the line and it there should be sufficient venting available. There is definite airflow out of the house when operating...

Was just curious as to if these sensors are suspect over time.

I do have a borable camera. I guess that’s the next step if this isn’t a known issue.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Pete,

Have you seen the drying times increase since this problem started?

Jake

pmpilot

Premium Member
Jake,

Hard to say. Wife wouldn’t run it with check vent light on. So we never ran a full cycle. If we switch to timed, it does just fine manually but we loose all the other functionality. The fact that it dries fine in manual but not in a sensing mode leads me to believe that it’s exhaling just fine.

One odd thing though, in normal (sensing) mode we see the clothes essentially wiping the window - you see a lot of moisture. When it does this you get very little lint and when you open the door water runs down in he front of the dryer. Again, I think it’s thinking low airflow and metering the heat back to prevent overheat. The air is still hot when we open the door, but the water thing is new.

Works fine in timed mode. No errors and normal timed dry cycles.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Pete,

Its possibly the moisture sensor bar, that's only used for AUTO-DRY, not TIMED DRY.:)

Here's the moisture sensor bar for your model:
WP3387223 Moisture Sensor Bar

I always advise my customers to try to clean the moisture sensor bars with rubbing alcohol and see if that makes a difference.

The sensor bars can get a build-up of fabric softener film from the dryer sheets, like Bounce, and cause this problem as well.:) Lots of members here have said the rubbing alcohol cleaning fixed their dryers.

Jake

pmpilot

Premium Member
I had run the moisture strip check before posting on this forum (wet cloth bridging strips after setting putting machine in diagnostic mode) and it beeped immediately. Per your recommendation, I did clean the strips with alcohol, but the check vent still illuminates. Would be nice if it was that easy of a fix.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know what else it can be Pete, other than the vent run.

There are companies that do professional duct cleaning, It's nearly impossible to try to clean it ALL yourself thoroughly with that long of a vent run.

Jake

pmpilot

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I’m going to run the camera down there when I get a chance. I’ll let you know.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Pete, sounds good.:)

Jake

DIYerGreg

Pete, do you have an update? I have a new Whirlpool dryer with the same issue. Check Vent comes on in all cycles except Timed mode. I called Whirlpool and their answer was "it's normal for the light to stay on." That answer of course sounds dumb--why would a warning light stay on at all times?

Greg

pmpilot

Premium Member
I found an actual blockage in the vent. Go figure. I shoved a leaf blower in the vent and let her rip for about 60 seconds. Somehow the snake I used earlier must have just moved the blockage.

Good luck!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Pete, glad that's all it was.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I called Whirlpool and their answer was "it's normal for the light to stay on." That answer of course sounds dumb--why would a warning light stay on at all times?

Hi Greg,

I got this from your owners manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fm8burlqprgt79s/Use%20and%20Care%20Guide%20-%20WED95HEDW0.pdf?dl=0

Check Vent
This indicator will show the status of airflow through the dryer and dryer vent system for the dryer’s life. During the sensing phase at the beginning of the cycle, the Check Vent light will come on if a blocked vent or low airflow issue is detected. This light will stay on for the entire cycle. The light will be cleared when selecting a new cycle, touching POWER, or opening the door after the cycle has completed.

This feature is available during Automatic and Steam cycles only. For more information on maintaining good airflow, see “Check Your Vent System for Good Airflow.”

NOTE: If there are other error issues during a cycle, the Check Vent indicator will not light up. See “Troubleshooting” section.

Jake

AmyV

Check Vent Light Fixed

Hi Jake,

Thanks to you (and Pete for the original post) the check vent light no longer goes on. For the past few weeks, I had tried cleaning the vents, disassembled the dryer to clean out the vent, scrubbed the lint screen, etc., but that light kept coming on. I just saw your advice to clean those sensors with rubbing alcohol, and, voila! No more light. Thank you Jake!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Amy, glad to hear that it fixed yours too.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.