• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WEE510S0FS2 Whirlpool Range/Oven no power

bwhitneyaz

Premium Member
Model Number
WEE510S0FS2
Brand
Whirlpool
Control panel dead. No power no lights. Circuit breaker good. 220 volts confirmed at wall outlet. Control panel replaced 12 months ago. Panel would go dead, restart in 2- 3 hours. This time dead for 24 hours. Will not come back on. Of course Warranty ended 4 months ago.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
bwhitneyaz said:
Circuit breaker good. 220 volts confirmed at wall outlet.

How about where the range cord connects to the stove wiring? It is a common failure point

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Yes. There is a terminal block that joins it to the stove wiring. That terminal block fails quite frequently.

Dan O.

bwhitneyaz

Premium Member
Yes. There is a terminal block that joins it to the stove wiring. That terminal block fails quite frequently.

Dan O.

Please see attachment photo, is this the terminal block your referring to?
Dan O.

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Yes, that one looks pristine and is not likely the problem.

Someone will next likely need to trace power to the electronic control to confirm power (120V) is getting there. If it has power but not lighting up, the control itself is likely the problem. I'm afraid I do not know how to access it on that model to perform the testing.

Dan O.

bwhitneyaz

Premium Member
Yes, that one looks pristine and is not likely the problem.

Someone will next likely need to trace power to the electronic control to confirm power (120V) is getting there. If it has power but not lighting up, the control itself is likely the problem. I'm afraid I do not know how to access it on that model to perform the testing.

Dan O.
Thanks for responding. It would appear we've got a $1000 Lemon. The dilemma: sinking more $$ into a lemon or cut our losses and get new unit.🤯
I could probably change the control panel myself but doubt that it will be a permanent fix.
Any thoughts from you as to where to go from here?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
When you said the "control panel" was replaced previously, are you referring to the circuit board? Because the control panel would be a different part. Do you have a copy of the work order showing the number of the part that was replaced?

The electronic control shouldn't fail that frequently and there shouldn't be any cause inside the range that would contribute to such a failure. If it's failed multiple times, it would be fairly unusual unless you have sletchy electrical supply with lots of surges or fluctuation.

Just replacing the control IF it is the cause (yet to be determined) might be a borderline reasonable option if you can perform the work yourself. The electronic control # W10894098 is about $350.

If it is power fluctuations that are the cause, they will likely affect a new stove as well unless you get that treated, possibly with a surge protector.

JMO

Dan O.

bwhitneyaz

Premium Member
It is the electronic control you mentioned. your part number matches the one on my receipt from the service person. His comment on the receipt is, "if the unit fails again, recommend checking oven supply"
Our house is 50 years old, the electric panel box is original. I'm thinking my next step based on the evidence is to ensure proper electric supply before installing new board. You have been a big help. Really appreciate your input. Haven't heard a word from Whirlpool, sent email 2 days ago.

bwhitneyaz

Premium Member
Had a thought. Have contacted electric co for service to check out supply. If we get good supply, any chance the the control board can reset? Any way to check out board to see if still good?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
bwhitneyaz said:
Any way to check out board to see if still good?

As I said, someone will likely need to trace power to the electronic control to confirm power (120V) is getting there. Power there but n/w should indicate a problem with the control itself.

bwhitneyaz said:
Have contacted electric co for service to check out supply. If we get good supply, any chance the the control board can reset?

If you're definitely getting proper power to the range, I don't know that an electrician is going to be able to do much except maybe install a surge suppressor to try to prevent further occurrences.

If the control is not lighting up when it's getting power, it's broken. It should not be able to be 'reset'.

Dan O.

bwhitneyaz

Premium Member
Well some good news. Whirlpool set up service for replacing the control board. Covering the cost , labor & parts. Who'd a thunk it and new board warrantied for 12 months.
Going to have electrician check out the supply from circuit breaker box to wall outlet.
Appreciate again your prompt replies and advice. Here's hoping.
Viejo

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
bwhitneya said:
Whirlpool set up service for replacing the control board. Covering the cost , labor & parts.
That's great! A lot of companies only give 90 days warranty on replacement parts and if it was replaced n/c while the appliance was in warranty, the part's warranty would usually only be until the end of the appliance's original warranty.

Let us know how it turns out.

Dan O.

bwhitneyaz

Premium Member
Let's see if their willing to put in writing.
Well here's an astounding update. Electrician took one look at aluminum 220v wires & said no good. Came back next day rerouted 220 from circuit breaker to wall outlet via the roof with copper. Buttoned it all up, plugged in R/O. waaa laaaa, EVERYTHING working! Hard to believe.
He replaced 220 circuit breaker, showed me where the aluminum wires had been arcing on one side of the connection.
We be cookin!