FIXED WEE730H0DS0 Display blank, no error code, but range and oven work

DaveMill

Premium Member
Model Number
WEE730H0DS0
Brand
Whirlpool
I bought this oven and installed it myself 3.5 years ago. It worked fine until recently.

Now the display is entirely blank, no error codes. However, the tenant showed me how to turn the burners on without the display. He said it's inconvenient but it works-wonderful tenant! :D

I did some searching, asked him turn the breaker off then on. He says this didn't fix it.

I'm going to head over to look at it again myself. I will turn off the breaker and wait a full minute before turning it back on. If that doesn't work, what's my next step? On some similar threads there were suggestions to check 120 and 240v supplies.

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Dave,

You may have it in Energy Save Mode.

Your owners manual says:

Energy Save: The Energy Save mode puts the range into Sleep mode and reduces energy consumption.

If the range is in Energy Save mode, the display will be blank when not in use.

To Deactivate the Energy Save Mode:
1. Press SETTINGS/CLOCK until “ENERGY SAVE” is displayed.
2. The current setting will be displayed.
3. Press the “1” keypad to adjust the setting.
4. Press CANCEL to exit and display the time of day.
5. The clock will reappear in the display and the range can be operated as usual.

Jake

DaveMill

Premium Member
Jake,

Tonight I finally got over to the unit.
1. Breaker off for 10 minutes.
2. Breaker on. No display.
3. Pressed Settings/Clock. Heard beeps, no display.
4. Pressed 1, heard beep, no display.
5. Pressed cancel a few times. Beeps, no display.
6. Bake, Broil buttons still heat the oven, cancel shuts them down. No display at all through any of this. All top burners heat up via their knobs.

So am I to the point of further debug, or ordering a replacement part? Thank you for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dave,

Here's the tech data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gvFFH5l70BBDkWZmKHBmlRj6TrjmFKRN It doesn't say what voltage you should be getting to the display board, and it doesn't have a wiring diagram. So I can't tell you what wires to check for voltage to the display board.

One of These two parts below are the most likely the culprit.

Here's the display board for your model:
Oven Control Board WPW10603098

Here's the control board for your model:
Control Board W11050557

You can order both parts and return the one that doesn't fix it for a full refund, less shipping. Or have Whirlpool come out to see which board is the culprit.

Jake

DaveMill

Premium Member
Just to close the loop...

I ordered the parts recommended by Jake from RepairClinic.com. After many delays, went over today to fix the stove.

Removing the display was easy. That PC board looked pristine, almost new. Removing the controller board was much harder without disassembling the whole stove, but it came out eventually. On the controller PC board, there were burn marks across two pins on the connector to the display. Here's a photo:

burnt connector.jpg

So I replaced that board, scraped the two cable connector pins clean, put everything back together, and it worked. By the end of the day I had shipped back the unused display board and the bad controller board-RepairClinic.com gives credit for returning bad parts.

Thanks Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Dave, yes I clearly see your photo of the burnt spot on the control board where the electrical connector connects to it.

Glad to hear the new control board fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Yes, RepairClinic gives you $60 cash back when you return the old control board.

For others that want to know the process, Here's how it works:

Order the new part
Return the old part, along with the packing slip from your order, using the manufacturer's box your new part arrived in.
We will refund your credit card for the amount shown above.
It's that easy!

Jake