• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WEE745H0FS2 Whirlpool Electric Range, Oven Heating Intermittently

nomad5d

Premium Member
Model Number
WEE745H0FS2
Brand
Whirlpool
I have an Whirlpool electric range, WEE745H0FS2, that does not always come up to temperature. It would only preheat to about 200 F out of the desired 400 F. Stove top works just fine. Wall outlet shows proper voltage. I checked the elements and sensors with the multi-meter and everything checked out there. I took it apart down to the control board just to copy the part number and inspect. All looked fine. When I put the oven back together it worked again... for 1 week. The oven is back to only reaching about 200 F again. Thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Disconnect power to your range, then Remove the cover from over the bake element per the video and see if your bake element has a hole in it, or any bad spots in it. If so, order and replace it.

Watch this video to access it:

Here's the bake element for your model you can order if needed:
W10779716 Bake Element

Let us know what you find.

Jake

nomad5d

Premium Member
I removed the tray and inspected the element. It looks brand new. I felt all along the length of it on the bottom and did not feel anything where I could not see. I tried the oven again with the tray removed. It never visibly glowed red hot as some people note it should. I set the oven for 400F and after quite a long time (~45 minutes, I forgot about it) it had only reached 345F.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then I'd use my volt meter and put the volt meter leads on each bake element terminal and see if you are getting 240 volts with BAKE ON at 350.

Its easy on this model to take the volt reading from the two BAKE element terminals, you just pull the range out and remove that back cover per the video and you will see the two BAKE element terminals.

If your meter reads 240 volts and not glowing red, then the BAKE element is bad.

Jake

nomad5d

Premium Member
Ok, here's the result of that test:

Reading 14v before preheat.
Initially 175v when starting preheat then 375v briefly before settling at 108v.
Every so often I would hear a click and the voltage would drop to 64 jump to 375 and go back to 108. It did this every 10 degrees or so. I let this go to 180F.
I assume with the bake element disconnected the heat is coming from the broil element.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Something is wrong with your meter.

You should be getting ONLY 240 Volts AC when the BAKE element is powered ON.

Do NOT disconnect the 2 wires going to the BAKE element when reading voltage at the BAKE element wire terminals.:)

For voltage measure in Bake mode: It will cycle between Bake and Broil elements on when heating.

Jake

nomad5d

Premium Member
I thought those readings were quite unusual.

My meter reads 121 v on my 15a wall outlet before and after so its at least working well to some degree.

I repeated but with the meter in parallel across the back element wires (NOT disconnected this time).

My meter read 0 the whole time (0.000 v before turning bake element on and 0.019 v with element on).

Again, I can use the stove top without issue so I know the stove is getting power, but apparently none is going to the back element.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok next, you will need your multimeter to ohm test your thermal fuse first for continuity.

Pull your range out from the wall, then unplug it, then take off the back access panel#47 and your thermal fuse is #17 take both wires off of it before testing it.

Here's the parts diagram for your model: Parts for Whirlpool WEE745H0FS2: Chassis Parts

#47 Back access panel
#17 Thermal fuse

Here's the thermal fuse for your model:
Thermal Fuse WP3196548

HOW TO access/ohm test Video included in part link.

If the thermal fuse ohm tests good, then the oven control board is the culprit.

Here's the oven control board for your model:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

nomad5d

Premium Member
Thermal fuse read 0 ohms.

I repeated the voltage test on the 3 elements:
Bake - 0 volts (Bake mode preheat)
Broil - 0 volts (Broil mode)
Convect - 120 volts (bake mode preheat, cycles off occasionally)

I noticed on the wiring diagram the Bake and Broil both run through a DBL switch on the L2 leg. I'm guessing that DBL has gone bad or L2 is open if neither are turning on.

Ryan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Testing from the oven control board--->P2-3 to P15-1 should be 240 Volts when the oven is set ON BAKE 350.

Yes, DBL comes from P15-1(RED/WHITE WIRE) and P2-3(RED WIRE) is BAKE.

On this model DBL is on the oven control board, it's not separate from the oven control board. So if DBL is faulty you'd still need to order and replace the oven control board I posted the link to above.
Screenshot 2020-10-30 15.14.10.png

Jake