• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Westinghouse LA800M washer found almost new

Joeyyamaha

Premium Member
Model Number
LA800M
Brand
White-Westinghouse
Hi everyone. Long story short, i have a hardly used westinghouse LA800M washer from 1990-1991. I think this model shares a lot of the same parts as frigidaire, so i thought id try my luck. Can anyone offer any insight on this machine? the good, the bad? I believe it to be belt driven. It has been used approx 30-40 times in its life so far and has been sitting rust free. I've attached a pic still showing the manufacturer's label. I'm so thrilled to find a perfectly working NON HE washer that uses water . I have the matching dryer as well. Any into greatly appreciated. Thanx

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
1. That's a "White-Westinghouse" (which has nothing to do with the color) not "Westinghouse". Those are usually two different things.

2. The complete model and serial numbers would help more to identify it.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link. It won't be on that piece of paper.

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

Joeyyamaha said:
Im so thrilled to find a perfectly working NON HE washer that uses water .
I would be too. I hate the new top-load washer I have.

Dan O.

Joeyyamaha

Premium Member
Hi Dan O. I don't have the washer here to give anymore details on model and serial number. I'm pretty sure it's belt driven tho and runs so quiet and smooth. Thanks for clarifying Westinghouse and white Westinghouse. Thought they were same. Joey

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The only older top-load washer that didn't use a belt was the Whirlpool.

White Consolidated Industries (aka WCI) bought the Westinghouse appliance division in approx 1977 hence the "White" part of the name. A lot of selling dealers still just say "Westinghouse" out of name recognition. LA800M looks to be from around 1990.

Most White-Westinghouse washers are more akin to Frigidaire machines of that age (again not older GM Frigidaire though) than older Westinghouse ones. (Frigidaire was purchased by WCI in 1978). They weren't bad washers at that time. Rarely used is great as long as nothing breaks. Few replacement parts are available any longer.

JFYI

Dan O.

Last edited:

Joeyyamaha

Premium Member
There are few washers that don't use a belt.

White Consolidated Industries (aka WCI) bought the Westinghouse appliance division in approx 1977 hence the "White" part of the name. A lot of dealers still just say "Westinghouse" out of name recognition. LA800M looks to be from around 1990.

Most White-Westinghouse washers are more akin to Frigidaire machines of that age (again not older GM Frigidaire though) than older Westinghouse ones. They weren't bad washers at that time. Rarely used is great as long as nothing breaks. Few replacement parts are available any longer.

Dan O.

Hey Dan O. thanks for the bit of history. You are right the LA800M was purchased in 1991 new so it was probably built in 1990 and you are right about it probably being a Frigidaire. Thru some internet searching I see other models that look like it inside with same basket and agitator that were Frigidaire built . Im still excited to have this WW machine that lets me select what I WANT instead of my new GE GTW335asuww I think it is ( offhand). Its a new one built by GE/Haier and of course its the HE nonsense that makes you do 2 small loads instead of one large in its huge 4.2 cubic foot basket. I still fill it manually almost to the top and do huge loads no issues. Thats HE to me LOL. My other thread talks about it and asks if some hack is avail to fool the water sensor into adding a full tub. Ill play around with it after the warranty expires. Thanx again Dan O. , Joey

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I have a new GE too and I usually use the 'bulky' setting and also pour a bucket of water in. Otherwise I find the washer just balls the clothes up. :/

I wish the tub didn't rust out of the old Maytag that was here before.

Joeyyamaha

Premium Member
I have a new GE too and I usually use the 'bulky' setting and also pour a bucket of water in. Otherwise I find the washer just balls the clothes up. :/

I wish the tub didn't rust out of the old Maytag that was here before.

Hey Dan, yea I hear you with the buckets of water, I use a hose connected to a nearby sink. I can get it nearly full before it says "oh duh" and drains all of it out lol. I miss my old GE to with the rubber band balance suspension. That thing rocked in every aspect. I do like the spin speed on this new GE washer but the balance suspension system is a bit weak. I usually use "light" or " bulky" setting as well. Bulky on mine has a slower spin speed tho. Let me know if you find a way to trick the pressure water level sensor in the future and if I figure something out I'll post it here. Thanx, Joey

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It's not my washer so I'm not touching it.

I find it spins fine, just for a ridiculous amount of time. It'll spin or 10-15 minutes, 5-10 minutes after all water has stopped being pumped out! I guess super spinning might be less energy consuming than running a dryer??

Joeyyamaha

Premium Member
It's not my washer so I'm not touching it.

I find it spins fine, just for a ridiculous amount of time. It'll spin or 10-15 minutes, 5-10 minutes after all water has stopped being pumped out! I guess super spinning might be less energy consuming than running a dryer??
Hi. Mine spins for something like 12 min. It's a good extraction and my cloths dry in 25 min instead of 40 with my old whirlpool. Bulky setting is slower speed tho, less extraction. Try the spin only after washing if u have it. It really gets the cloths dryer if your using the bulky cycle. Thanks