WF419AAU SAMSUNG Washer Drum is stuck AFTER cleaning all hoses and drain motor

Flapus

Premium Member
Model Number
WF419AAU
Brand
Samsung
Hi,
I have a SAMSUNG WASHER WF419AAU/XAA 01 which is about 6 years old.

A few days ago, the washer displayed the "can not drain" error code.

The drum was full of water so I could not open the door. I wasn't able to drain enough through the small drain hose and drain pump so I did 2 things that might have caused another problem:
1. I tried manually opening the door by going in with my hand trying to unlock the door. I was not able to open it but I felt something snap that was not broken when I went in.
2. I put it on the side and disconnected one of the hoses that goes from the drum to the drain pump.
It was all full of sand, at least 1 pound of sand all stuck in all tubes. Which explains why not enough water leaked through the drain hose. I cleaned everything out, assembled everything again, the door opened again and I thought I was back in business...
I was so happy I fixed it but now I have another major problem.

The drum does not want to turn anymore. When I turned the washer on again, the door closed like normal but the drum wanted to move but it is stuck. It makes very short (less than 1 inch) spastic movements (like it has an epileptic attack). So it seems the motor is working but something is stuck.
When I turned it off, I tried to turn the drum manually but that doesn't work, I can only spin it 1/4 of a turn when i use a lot of force, it doesn't slide. I assume it is not the belt because then it would spin freely.
I think because the drum was full of water and clothes and put it on the side it destroyed something. All hoses outside of the drum are intact, all things that keep the drum in place are not broken either.
I really do not know what to do. I was able to fix the machine a few times (mostly drain pump), but I never went in from the back. I removed the big screw there and now I am faced with a circle with magnet like elements.
Any suggestions? Am I going to have to take the drum out? Did the bearings fall out or do they need to be replaced? Is there an element that I ruined by putting it on the side?
I researched on the internet but a stuck drum is not a very common problem and mostly caused by a seized or frozen pump pulley. However, I am not sure this machine even has a pulley like that. I do not see it.
I really do not know what to do.

All help is greatly appreciated,
Thank you

David from Az

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi David,

So before you fixed the sand clog issue the drum was turning fine?

You mentioned above while you were trying to open the door you felt something snap.

I haven't worked on or had any tech. training on these Samsung washers, but I did locate the Tub/Drum assembly parts diagram here: Parts for Samsung WF419AAU/XAA-0000: Tub / Drum Assy Parts

But I couldn't locate the service manual for this model, Wild is our Samsung expert here, he may be able to assist you.

Jake

Flapus

Premium Member
So before you fixed the sand clog issue the drum was turning fine? I am not 100% sure but I think so. (my wife thinks so, even though it was already making very weird noises)

You mentioned above while you were trying to open the door you felt something snap. Yes on the door, but I do not think it would affect the turning of the drum in the sense that I should still be able to turn the drum manually even if the lock would be broken.

I haven't worked on or had any tech. training on these Samsung washers, but I did locate the Tub/Drum assembly parts diagram here: Parts for Samsung WF419AAU/XAA-0000 / : Tub / Drum Assy Parts That seems to be my drum assembly. I have no idea which part can cause the drum to be stuck or not align correctly. You have an idea?

But I couldn't locate the service manual for this model, Wild is our Samsung expert here, he may be able to assist you. I hope he can help me out, can I contact him or do you think he will see this post? thank you so much for your help.

thanks
David

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok David,

Yes, you can PM Wild, click here wildimaginations then you will see a menu on the left side that says Send Private Message, then refer him to your thread here.

Jake

wildimaginations

Appliance Tech
It sounds like there is a hard foreign object inside between the drum and tub assembly. My first guess is a something like a long nail that has stuck through the holes of the drum into the plastic tub and is causing it to jam like that. Look closely at all the holes of the tub for anything that looks like a nail head that's jammed inside the tub.

Next, get under the tub assembly and remove the tub drain hose from the bottom of the tub. You'll probably find something in there as well.

Hope this helps.

Flapus

Premium Member
IMG_20151013_181936209.jpgIMG_20151013_181957555.jpg

I opened the drum and apparently this part broke off: Assy Flange Shaft. It seems to be a very common problem for Samsung Washers.
So thank you Wild and Jake for your help.
I have 1 more question:
My machine is 6 years old. Should I also replace seal and bearings now the machine is open. I am not very handy but I saw some videos on how to replace it.

Thank you,
David

wildimaginations

Appliance Tech
Check with the owner's manual and see if the drum is covered under a special warranty. If it is, call Samsung and see if they will send you the free part.

Good luck

Flapus

Premium Member
I contacted support and they said:
"I have checked the information for you and see that the warranty has expired. However, Samsung provides two year warranty for control board parts, Three (3) years: Stainless Tub Part, Five (5) years: Washing Motor Part, Ten (10) years: Direct Drive Motor."
So I was wondering if the assembly flange shaft is part of the direct drive motor? IF YES: because I opened the washer myself that the warranty still apply?
Thanks
David

wildimaginations

Appliance Tech
The stainless steel drum is part of the shaft and it is only good for 5 years. So I guess it's not covered anymore.

Figure out how much the parts are to replace the drum assembly and bearings. You should note that after 8 years, the manufacturer will no longer make the PC Boards so if it should go out, you're out of luck.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help David.:)

Jake

Thatoneguy

I am having a similar problem, except my flange is in tact (a little dirty, but expectedly). I took the entire machine apart and cleaned inside the drum and hoses (cuz there was alot of sand, which is what i thought was causing it to stick). I can see the motor trying to turn the drum, and i checked every point of continuity (ohms) i could find and everything seems to be fine. I think the drum is crooked or something, causing it to rub/stick along the tub. It was probably warped due to uneven loads. But i'm looking for other suggestions before i spend $100 on a new drum.

If it helps diagnose at all, the slot where the boot and wire go on the drum has an uneven separation. In other words, on one side of the drum that spins i can fit a dime between and on the other side of the opening i can damn near put my pinky in there. If that description (or my vocabulary of parts) doesn't make sense i can take pictures. I just hate to keep taking it apart too many times lol.

Crich77

I’m having an issue with the drum as well. It seems like it’s stuck it tuff to manually split it. When it’s on it stutters. The drum moves back and forth a little bit. Any ideas?