FIXED WF42H5600AP Samsung washer leaking from air vent in back

Raventhrone

Premium Member
Model Number
WF42H5600AP
Brand
Samsung
Hello,

I've had a leaking washing machine for about a year and a half or so. It only seems to happen randomly and can go weeks or months without happening again. I've deduced that it is coming from the "safety air vent" in the back of the washer as the sticker right under it shows signs of leaking. We have had a tech out to check on it, he removed the top, ran a clean cycle and it didn't leak, which I expected but I didn't know what else to do. This was before I figured out it was the vent.

I've been running smaller loads (between 1/3 and 2/3 full) and usually it's fine but I have cardboard underneath so I can easily check, one time it will leak, so I have to pull my dryer and washer out and dry it up and it's just becoming a nuisance as it's a tight space with a countertop and such.

It seems pretty level although it does rock quite a bit when spinning. We had to use pads on the front feet to keep it from walking across the floor from the beginning. Any thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Raven, Here's the parts diagram for your model:

I haven't run into this problem as of yet on my service calls, hopefully another tech that has can shed some light on this problem and the fix to stop the leak.

Jake

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,

Wrong or too much soap comes to mind and bubbles are finding their way out the vent at the back causing a leak.

jeff.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Jeff, that makes sense as to why it would leak.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Jake, what is actually connected to that vent? It is the hose that's attached to the top of the drum?
I don't know Raven, I don't even see the vent in your parts diagram.

Jake

jeff1

Staff member
It should be a hose from the outer shell to the back of the washer.

jeff.

Raventhrone

Premium Member
Leaked again today after doing a load with jeans. Have been super careful to not overload or use too much soap. Non-sticker side is cardboard under the washer and the one with stickers is the flip side.

Driving me insane!

I think we use the Tide purclean detergent.

Attachments

jeff1

Staff member
Maybe...

A copy:

11. Is Tide purclean™ designed for High Efficiency machines and traditional top loading machines?
Yes, it provides outstanding cleaning performance in all types of machines. (Note: If you are accustomed to our Tide HE Turbo formulas, you may notice more sudsing with this formula but it should not interfere with the performance of the detergent).

So Tide purclean detergent might give us more suds.

Was the dripping coming down from the vent grill?

jeff.

Raventhrone

Premium Member
It’s under a counter so we have not seen it actually leak...we have just put cardboard underneath and check after every load. If it leaks I pull it out and dry and then go again. When I pull it out there is evidence that’s where it’s coming from as the sticker is right below it and it is wet.

We have used other detergents and it has happened with those as well. It’s just the randomness of it that is so frustrating. It was good for months before I made this post and now it seems to happen every laundry day.

jeff1

Staff member
If it leaks I pull it out and dry and then go again
Might be best to remove the washer top and inspect the hose going to the vent screen. Remove it, check for a possible check valve inside or at the tub. If possible watch a load or two to get an idea when the leak occurs.

jeff.

Raventhrone

Premium Member
I have read a bunch about LG leaking due to the mushroom valve inside...don't know if this has that but will take it apart and have a look.

jeff1

Staff member
It's not suppose to be....but the cleaner could easily be removing a build up inside and you are see the bubbly results.

jeff.

Raventhrone

Premium Member
I didn’t use any cleaner, the washer has a 4 hour self clean. Once it emptied the drum and filled for the final rinse out it was clean water at the end so I think it’s ok in that regard.

Raventhrone

Premium Member
Hey Jeff, my wife actually has affresh...anyway, we did the full 4 hour clean cycle with no product. I bought a bottle of Tide Free & Gentle, which we had used in the past and possibly a long stretch with no leaks. Have done several loads using it instead of the purclean and have had no leaks yet. So perhaps it was the detergent all along.

jeff1

Staff member
Thankx for the update....hope it stays ok for a L-O-N-G time ;)

jeff.