• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WFG540H0AH1 Whirlpool oven won't ignite

Brian Van Dine

Premium Member
Model Number
WFG540H0AH1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello. We are frustrated with our not so old oven as it has a history of not wanting to ignite. The symptoms are it tries to ignite by making 4 or 5 clicks.

We can tell when it succeeds because there is a whooshing noise at ignition. However, when it doesn't ignite it behaves like a flooded engine and we can smell gas when we open the door.

The stove burners and broiler burners all work - only bake fails and does so frequently. I ran through the error code sequence should the following help with the diagnosis : 01, 1196, 600d, 92db,5312, U 30, 139
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Brian,

You posted the Age as Less than 1 year old, is that correct? If so, it's best to have Whirlpool come out under warranty to fix this for you.

Here's the parts diagram for your model: Parts for Whirlpool WFG540H0AH1 Manifold Parts

#11 is your bake burner tube

#13 is your bake igniter that mounts onto the bake burner tube

If you bend the bracket a little closer to the electrode and have a good clean surface, it should work fine.

Here's the oven bake ignitor for your model:
WPW10324262 Igntr-Oven

Jake

Brian Van Dine

Premium Member
Actually, the oven is about 3 years old. Re: your answer, are you saying that the repair may need nothing more than bending the bake burner bracket closer to the starter electrode? Or, do you recommend new parts, as well? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Re: your answer, are you saying that the repair may need nothing more than bending the bake burner bracket closer to the starter electrode?
That's correct Brian, I've been on many service calls, and that's exactly what I did and never heard from the customer again.:)

Or, do you recommend new parts, as well?
No, unless bending it closer does not fix it.

Jake

Brian Van Dine

Premium Member
O.K. Thanks. I took out the two screws that attached the oven bottom plate and removed the plate, thus, exposing the burner assembly. I bent the igniter assembly housing towards the burner tube.

I have tried igniting the oven subsequently about six times. Five times it worked on the first or second click. Only one time did it not light after running through all of its clicks.

I waited to see if the automatic re-click would start it, it tried to but it failed, too.

I opened the door to vent gas for a minute, then tried starting the oven again. This time it started right away. So, the fix isn't flawless but it seems to be much improved. Just tried to ignite it one more time for good measure and it worked.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, glad to hear its much better!

Jake

tt5354

Hi Jake,
This if very informative. I am having a similar problem where the oven works intermittently. How close do you recommend bending the bracket to the electrode?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have the exact same model number WFG540H0AH1?

How close do you recommend bending the bracket to the electrode?
A inch or two away from the burner.

Jake